Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could someone explain 'The Old Contemptibles' please?

ALH29

I've read that many things, many conflicting, could someone please explain (in the easiest way possible) what would an 'old contemptible' be?

Would my ancestor be classed as one? (Connaught Rangers, 2nd Battalion - British Expeditionary Force 1914 on medal record).

Many Thanks

I took it to be a soldier who was entitled to the 1914 Star (Mons Star) i.e., one who saw service in France or Belgium between 5 August and 22 November 1914.

Mike

9 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I took it to be a soldier who was entitled to the 1914 Star (Mons Star) i.e., one who saw service in France or Belgium between 5 August and 22 November 1914.

Mike

My ancestor's medal record states '1914 Star for 14/08/1914'. He was part of the Connaught Rangers 2nd Battalion at that time, which I believe (and I may be wrong cause I'm not great at all this battalion whereabouts thing at the moment - still learning!) meant he landed in Boulogne on this date. He was wounded in October and sent to a hospital in Cardiff I believe.

Edited by ALH29

• 7 months later...

From G.H.Q. Diary

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 14.41.38.png

The real question is whether the Kaiser said  "comtemtable little army" or "contemptibly little army"  - which of course it was!