Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Z2A Medium Trench Mortar Battery - War Diary?

Ken Lees

I am researching a soldier of Z2a Trench Mortar Battery, AIF who was killed on 7th May, 1917 during the 2nd Battle of Bullecourt.

The Australian War Memorial listings for the War Diaries only start in July, 1917. Where else might they be, or under what designation?

I have his service papers and he was transferred to this unit in July, 1916.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Mate,

I show these ALH men from that unit on that day;

Wounded

McLENNAN    George Traill    868    Pte    13 LHR    2R att C Troop CSqn/Comp LHR 11-15 to Dvr 1 sect/2 DAC 3-16 to 4 BAC 4-16 to Gnr Z2A MTMB 7-16 WIA 7-5-17 L/arm & neck shot at Reincourt - Bullecourt to Bdr 1-18 to 4 MTMB 3-18 MM & MID - for his actions with a 6" Newton mortar during attack at Morlancourt 10/11-6-18 F&B brothers John 6Bn KIA and Alexander DCM 13 LHR

Killed

WEBSTER    Norman James    880    Pte    13 LHR    2R att C Troop CSqn/Comp LHR 11-15 to Dvr 1 sect/2 DAC 5-16 to Gnr Z2A MTMB 7-16 F&B KIA 7-5-17 killed by shell at Reincourt - Bullecourt buried Queant Road Cemetery Buissy France (D Troop BSqn/13 LH CMF 10 months)

You could check a number of books including the Offical History by Bean.

Also the War Diary for the units of the 1st and 2nd Division

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Thanks Steve. 

Webster is the man I am interested in. He was originally buried in Noreiul British Cemetery, about 400 metres north of that village and subsequently moved in 1919.

I was hoping to tie down which section of the line he was in when he was killed. 

Mate,

I'll check some souces, but as they were a Medium TMB, they possibly would not be in the front lines, but supporting the fighting from a distance, possibly around the rail line.

A number of HQ's were set up there and that line was shelled, a number lost?

But needs more details to check.

The red cross cards held at the AWM may shed more light?

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

5 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

I'll check some souces, but as they were a Medium TMB, they possibly would not be in the front lines, but supporting the fighting from a distance, possibly around the rail line.

A number of HQ's were set up there and that line was shelled, a number lost?

But needs more details to check.

The red cross cards held at the AWM may shed more light?

S.B

The Red Cross Missing and Wounded files give him as being in the front lines somewhere, so that could have been OG1. I'm just trying to find out which Battalion or Brigade he might have been in support of. 

Mate,

A check of the 2nd Div orders show that three Medium TMB (from the 1st and 2nd Aust Divs and the 62nd British Div) were to move into Bullecourt to aid the defences once the place was taken.

They would not advance untill two strong points had been taken.

Two MT Mortars would advance when the right Bde and the 3rd 4th and 5th waves had captured the 2nd Objective.

A special ammo party from the 7th Bde would be supplied to carry ammo

I don't think these batteries were sent as the 2nd Objective was not cleared?

The losses must have been while waiting to go in, as there is not mention of these units in the fighting?

Sorry that about all I can find on this unit so far and the Z2A MTMB is never mentioned in orders only as a group of three?

S.B

Mate,

Sorry I should have given a Ref;

See page 33 of the 2nd Div HQ war diary where the orders for the attack are shown on the AWM site.

Under the Medium batteries there orders are stated.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

10 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

Sorry I should have given a Ref;

See page 33 of the 2nd Div HQ war diary where the orders for the attack are shown on the AWM site.

Under the Medium batteries there orders are stated.

S.B

Thanks again. I'm very grateful. I will look it up. 

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

They would have been on the line between Bullecourt village and Central Rd.
Albeit, if he was killed they certainly carried him a long way back.

2 hours ago, torokina said:

They would have been on the line between Bullecourt village and Central Rd.
Albeit, if he was killed they certainly carried him a long way back.

Thanks. I went to his original burial place, where there was an aid post and a temporary cemetery. When you stand on the ground there it makes sense to have set up the cemetery there, just out of view of the lines. 

What baffles me is why there are so few cemeteries in the vicinity today. Queant Road, where he now lies, is a good distance away.