Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

CDR. Shaun Chapman

James O'Sullivan An Unknown Soldier . . . with a vicious enemy behind ready to slit his throat, and miles & miles of blue sea in front . . .

CDR. Shaun Chapman

My search for this Unknown Soldier, my Great-uncle continues . . . James O'Sullivan was born circa 1896, he is mentioned in the 1901 census of Ireland: Father-Jeremiah O'Sullivan (31); Mother Maria O'Sullivan (30); Brother-John (3); Sister-Elizabeth (1) . . . Place of residence: #2 Cove Street, Cork, County Cork . . . The family moved to London sometime thereafter . . . He joined up at the beginning of the war and left for Turkey and Gallipoli after his training . . . he was captured by the Turks and escaped . . . he was a great artist and may have made some sketches while in captivity . . . James escaped & ended up far out to sea rowing to Greece . . . he was eventually picked up by a destroyer and survived the war to tell his story . . . His unit still remains a mystery yet to be cracked . . . If you can please help in solving 'The Mystery of the Unknown Soldier'  any assistance would be gratefully received . . . Kind Regards, Shaun 

Ron Clifton

It is quite likely that he was part of 10th (Irish) Division which landed at Suvla Bay in August 1915, before being moved to Helles from which it was evacuated to Egypt.

Ron

wandererpaul

Does it need another new thread??!? 

How many more re this great uncle?

just jams the place up.....

ss002d6252

CDR. Shaun Chapman
On 17/09/2019 at 12:54, Ron Clifton said:

It is quite likely that he was part of 10th (Irish) Division which landed at Suvla Bay in August 1915, before being moved to Helles from which it was evacuated to Egypt.

Ron

Thanks Ron, Will follow this up . . . Regards, Shaun

Margaretnolan
On 17/09/2019 at 11:49, CDR. Shaun Chapman said:

My search for this Unknown Soldier, my Great-uncle continues . . . James O'Sullivan was born circa 1896, he is mentioned in the 1901 census of Ireland: Father-Jeremiah O'Sullivan (31); Mother Maria O'Sullivan (30); Brother-John (3); Sister-Elizabeth (1) . . . Place of residence: #2 Cove Street, Cork, County Cork . . . The family moved to London sometime thereafter . . . He joined up at the beginning of the war and left for Turkey and Gallipoli after his training . . . he was captured by the Turks and escaped . . . he was a great artist and may have made some sketches while in captivity . . . James escaped & ended up far out to sea rowing to Greece . . . he was eventually picked up by a destroyer and survived the war to tell his story . . . His unit still remains a mystery yet to be cracked . . . If you can please help in solving 'The Mystery of the Unknown Soldier'  any assistance would be gratefully received . . . Kind Regards, Shaun 

It it looks like they may still have been in Ireland in 1911. I sent you a message Shaun.

Margaret

CDR. Shaun Chapman
18 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

It it looks like they may still have been in Ireland in 1911. I sent you a message Shaun.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret . . .