Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Wireless Telegraphy Company RE

MaxD

My subject joined 1st Wireless Telegraphy Company RE in 1909 and was still serving with them in Aldershot in 1911.  He went to France 24 Oct 1914.  

Does anyone know whether the company went to war with that title or would it have morphed into a Signals Company by then?

(The man went on to join the R Sigs with a very early R Sigs number and his record is with MOD (pre 1901 listing) but I ask this while the record is awaited).

I have his 1919 discharge papers which have no unit info apart from his first and there is no pension card/ledger.

Max.

2 hours ago, MaxD said:

Does anyone know whether the company went to war with that title or would it have morphed into a Signals Company by then?

Hello MaxD

"Telegraphy" was generally replaced by "Signals" by 1914. There was one Wireless Section RE with the GHQ of the Expeditionary Force, designated Q Wireless Section, so he was probably with them.

"The Signal Service (France)" by Major R E Priestley is available to read online. I don't have the exact URL address to hand but a Google search should turn it up quite quickly. Although some of it is technical, it is generally a very readable book, and you can also get it in paperback through Amazon (or other online sales sites.

Ron