Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne cot cemetery

Babs 1964

Welcome to the forum Babs

The then IWGC list the cemetery at 28.D.17.a.00.75 which puts it around the German front line trenches at the beginning of the battle, I have marked it with a red 'X' on this barriage map here, the extent of the barriage gives some idea where the front line was at the end of the battle.

J

As a further guide, the Cross of Sacrifice is built on top of a German pillbox, and there are two bunkers in the cemetery, each surrounded by a square of poplars.

Ron

I think Babs is still searching for the "X"!

9 hours ago, Babs 1964 said:

In relation to the paschaendale battlefield , where was the cemetery constructed

Hi Babs

It is an interesting question and I'm spending a lot of time looking at the area on Google Maps so I had a look at various photos I have. The first is one I found on the internet (possibly on the bignote.com); it shows the view from the centre of the cemetery looking towards Passendale (as it is now). The distance is 1.3 miles to the church. The second is one I took from the same location with a bit of zoom looking back towards Ieper itself. The distance is just under five and a half miles.

Pete.

503012431_5TyneCotlookingtowardsPassendale.JPG.06fe708d168bd9ed0b60d7a649a42143.JPG

514989042_4TyneCotveiwbacktoYpres.JPG.87d7c04bbe4c2babf0cf1b60937ead60.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

Plum lbw Ray, no need for the square in the air on that one, the square on the map does the trick.

Pete.

Curiously it seem to show at least six Pill Boxes within the grounds of what is now the cemetery. Of the three nearest the road, it looks like the centre one has been totally demolished and would have been where the path is now.

59 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Plum lbw Ray, no need for the square in the air on that one, the square on the map does the trick.

apart from it doesn't show the cemetery in relation to the Passchendaele battlefield 

J

27 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

apart from it doesn't show the cemetery in relation to the Passchendaele battlefield 

J

1 minute ago, Rayessex said:

Its Just an aid to orientation, from here Bab's may find a larger map and be able to work it out.

Give me a couple of minutes........

This part of the Ordnance Survey produced progress map of the 1917 battle as found on Wikipedia and is public domain. I've marked the location of Tyne Cot to give an indication of where it sits in the whole scheme of things as suggested. Hope this helps Babs.

Pete.

2018195848_3rdYpresshowingTyneCot.JPG.cd5296957cf7898da6e88e2be1ed8c20.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

8 hours ago, Rayessex said:

Curiously it seem to show at least six Pill Boxes within the grounds of what is now the cemetery. Of the three nearest the road, it looks like the centre one has been totally demolished and would have been where the path is now.

It's 5 that are/were within the cemetery grounds, the three that are visible (two between the trees, one under the cross of sacrifice and two were more or less the pagodas are at each end of the back wall).

Jan

Ive obviously asked an interesting question and have recieved some interesting replies.

Been over to tyne cot a few times and it provoked some interesting questions....does anybody have or can point me to photos around the early 20s of the cemetery .

Thanks guys 👍

26 minutes ago, 303man said:

I believe there is also area in Tyne Cot with no graves because of a concrete structure underneath.   It may be the bit in front of the right hand bunker?

zopacem199f100.jpg

13 hours ago, AOK4 said:

It's 5 that are/were within the cemetery grounds, the three that are visible (two between the trees, one under the cross of sacrifice and two were more or less the pagodas are at each end of the back wall).

Jan

Thats what I always thought, but clearly six marked on map, Jan.

2 hours ago, Babs 1964 said:

Ive obviously asked an interesting question and have recieved some interesting replies.

Been over to tyne cot a few times and it provoked some interesting questions....does anybody have or can point me to photos around the early 20s of the cemetery .

Thanks guys 👍

You can find some photographs in both photograph albums in the CWGC archives here,

http://archive.cwgc.org/Overview.aspx

However, if you do a Google image search you’ll get lots of results.

Doug

A55FB7B2-3B4D-4B6A-A3BB-8FF5EE6E06BE.jpeg

EC5D1427-2A64-4793-9668-912E5CFE9574.jpeg

A19D647E-EDB1-4B3B-871F-0650499D71E9.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Doug504 said:

You can find some photographs in both photograph albums in the CWGC archives here,

http://archive.cwgc.org/Overview.aspx

However, if you do a Google image search you’ll get lots of results.

Doug

A55FB7B2-3B4D-4B6A-A3BB-8FF5EE6E06BE.jpeg

EC5D1427-2A64-4793-9668-912E5CFE9574.jpeg

A19D647E-EDB1-4B3B-871F-0650499D71E9.jpeg

Wow.....thanks for all your help and very knowledgable posts. Its really kind the knowledge that has been made available..i really need to return there and look through my enlightened eyes.

Babs

On 17/09/2019 at 14:35, jay dubaya said:

Welcome to the forum Babs

The then IWGC list the cemetery at 28.D.17.a.00.75 which puts it around the German front line trenches at the beginning of the battle, I have marked it with a red 'X' on this barriage map here, the extent of the barriage gives some idea where the front line was at the end of the battle.

J

Thankyou

On 17/09/2019 at 16:02, Ron Clifton said:

As a further guide, the Cross of Sacrifice is built on top of a German pillbox, and there are two bunkers in the cemetery, each surrounded by a square of poplars.

Ron

Thanks ron

On 17/09/2019 at 19:29, Fattyowls said:

Hi Babs

It is an interesting question and I'm spending a lot of time looking at the area on Google Maps so I had a look at various photos I have. The first is one I found on the internet (possibly on the bignote.com); it shows the view from the centre of the cemetery looking towards Passendale (as it is now). The distance is 1.3 miles to the church. The second is one I took from the same location with a bit of zoom looking back towards Ieper itself. The distance is just under five and a half miles.

Pete.

503012431_5TyneCotlookingtowardsPassendale.JPG.06fe708d168bd9ed0b60d7a649a42143.JPG

514989042_4TyneCotveiwbacktoYpres.JPG.87d7c04bbe4c2babf0cf1b60937ead60.JPG

Appreciate that peter