Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Chris Godfrey

17th Reserve Batallion Cheshire regiment

Chris Godfrey

Hello

My ancestor a Frederic Gee born abt 1888 was in the 17th Reaerve Battalion cheshire regiment in world war 1. I was wondering if anybody could help me locate some more information on him and if he served overseas. Googling the regiment it seems that they were just based in the uk in Prees Heath.

Thank you In advance 

Regards

Christopher godfrey 

Edited by Chris Godfrey

BillyH

Can you tell us what year he was born, where he was living (ie name of town or city). and was his christian name missing a 'k' or is that a typo.

BillyH.

edit : I suspect he was from Stockport? if this is your ancestor then he has army service papers available on Ancestry. His father was Alfred, living at 5 Turncroft Lane in 1915.

Edited by BillyH

Chris Godfrey

Hi I've put that in my original post. He was born around 1888. His Christian name is correct. He was living from time of birth to enlistment in stockport, cheshire. 

Thank you 

Chris Godfrey
10 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Can you tell us what year he was born, where he was living (ie name of town or city). and was his christian name missing a 'k' or is that a typo.

BillyH.

edit : I suspect he was from Stockport? if this is your ancestor then he has army service papers available on Ancestry. His father was Alfred, living at 5 Turncroft Lane in 1915.

Thank you for this information 

BillyH

(I have edited my previous post while you were replying)

He enlisted on 6.10.15 and trained with the 17th Bn. until 2.8.16 when he was discharged as "No longer physically fit for war service" due to Valvular Disease of the Heart. Service no.29691

No service overseas, so no medals.

BillyH.

Chris Godfrey

Hi Billy thank you again for this information.

Very much appreciated