Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very battered relic, info please

JBee

Hi all,

I know it's not complete or shiney, but it's mine and I love it already.

Can anyone tell me anything about this broken bayonet? I've read some posts on here, but don't have any knowledge or expertise to identify it. 

Did they have wooden handles? Is there the remains of a scabbard on it?

How could a bayonet blade get broken?!

Also, what is best way to remove the rust and try to make it the best condition I can.

Thank you.

JBee

20190909_080748.jpg

20190902_192958.jpg

Hi

it looks like a British 07 bayonet with the top section of the scabbard remaining, could have been snapped for any number of reasons. The round looks like a British.303 but has had a hole drilled in the side and also a shell fuse possibly a number 80

Dave

Shell fuze is a 101, British, used in HE shells. The rings around it are the giveaway.  

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

Thanks both. It was info on the bayonet I was after but also knew nothing about the orher items. Thought the conical thing was a nose cap from a shell.

I need to read up!

Edited by JBee

The 'conical thing' is indeed the nose cap from a shell. It is the fuze which detonates the shell. More information than an ordinary person could ever need is right here

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_gb.html#angleterre

No problem it is a great website, it is not a complete list but when you start fretting that it does not list a No 17, 31 or 110 fuze then... you are beyond hope really.

As to cleaning, the fuze is brass and should come up very well with a bit of work. Soaking in acid or vinegar works well but can eat all the zinc leaving a coppery finish. I get mine glass bead blasted which works very well but is hard unless you have a pet engineering company. Personally I'd give it a brush with alloy wheel cleaner then get busy with brasso. The bayonet is a different kettle of fish, any means of getting the rust off will more than likely destroy the wood and scabbard remnants which I think add some poignancy. Again, if I had to clean it, personally I'd get a little multitool like a Dremel, use the little grinders and wire brushes to remove as much mud and flake as possible, then brush it with Kurust. This chemically inerts the rust and leaves a solid but black item. Use a couple of coats.  It will loose something of its character in the process but you will be left with a nice little stable item.

I like relic treasure and much to Mrs Dubaya's displeasure I have a shed full of the stuff. You've got some nice bits there, did you find them JBee? ...that bayonet was probably made in Sheffield and yes they surely did have wooden grips some of which is retained on yours along with some of the scabbard. The fuze looks like a No.101, give it a slight clean and chances are it will be stamped on there along with several other stamps. The round does look like a .303 but looks unfired and indeed does look like a hole has been drilled in the case....just beware!

Molasses does a fantastic job with metals and rust if its soaked for a week or three, no chemicals needed, then washed and scrubbed, parts can then be buffed with a steel brush (attached to a drill or grinder is best). The wood that remains on the bayonet would need some chemical intervention to preserve it and what appears to remain of the scabbard looks very shot so it may be well to leave this piece be. The round I'm keeping at arms length at present.....

J

Edited by jay dubaya

JBee,

The single easiest method is described in this link.

If you dissolve the molasses in hot water, the evolution of hydrogen will start pretty quickly.

Check progress daily.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/262893-molasses-rust-us-m-1917-helmet/?tab=comments#comment-2665118

Regards,

JMB

Edit: jaydubaya posted while I was typing. I would not worry about the wooden grips, the piece will never be anything other than a dug relic and you cannot restore it to original condition.

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

With the wood of the grips, this will only ever be a dug relic. The problem is that due to the degree of exposure to water much of the natural oils in the cellular structure of the wood has been lost additionally with the exposure to soil bacteria and fungi spores are also likely to be present. As the wood dries over several years, it will largely turn to dust (wood only not the steel). Soaking for an extended period (weeks or months) in a solution of linseed oil may arrest this process, but the wood will always be dark/black, soft and crumbly.

Museum conservation can offer more effective conservation techniques but is likely to be cost prohibitive for this item.

Regards

Ross

As someone with next to no knowledge of bayonets, I'm intrigued by the symmetry of the 'broken' end, from the images apparently straight across at a right angle, wouldn't an irregular break be more likely? Is it possible that the blade has been cut/ground down for some - obviously unknown - reason, possibly after suffering a less regular break?  It would be interesting to know whether there is any irregularity of the 'break' across its depth, or whether that too is straight across - although corrosion might have subsequently hidden it - giving further evidence of it having been cut.  Any thoughts?

NigelS

45 minutes ago, NigelS said:

As someone with next to no knowledge of bayonets, I'm intrigued by the symmetry of the 'broken' end, from the images apparently straight across at a right angle, wouldn't an irregular break be more likely? Is it possible that the blade has been cut/ground down for some - obviously unknown - reason, possibly after suffering a less regular break?  It would be interesting to know whether there is any irregularity of the 'break' across its depth, or whether that too is straight across - although corrosion might have subsequently hidden it - giving further evidence of it having been cut.  Any thoughts?

NigelS

I have similar bayonet relics, so it's not that strange.

Jan

Thank you so much for all the info. I keep reading the replies then doing more online searching inbetween.

Will try to clean the bayonet blade but likely to leave the handle as is. 

In the meantime, I've found some numbers on the fuze.

20190918_211651.jpg

Edited by JBee

Good Evening Folks

Regarding the cleaning of the bayonet put it on some clean kitchen roll and put it in a cardboard box and leave it to stabilise in a in a warm dry location. I too have a similar piece of a British bayonet that I found at Mametz several years ago.Don't clean it leave it as it was found with the med and dirt, it has more meaning.

Regards

Andy  

Leave the bayonet as it is.  P.07 bayonets are commonly found on the battle fields and often have snapped blades due to farm tractors running over them.  - SW