Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 82424 J W SHAW

BarbaraG

Trying to locate Pte 82424 Shaw believed to have served with Notts & Derby.

Are there any experts who could advise regarding regimental number and when it may have been issued???

Barbara

Barbara - are you trying to identify Pte Shaw ie. name, where he was from etc?

It might give a few pointers if we know where you got the information you have on him from.

Comment endorsed.  The number given has 20 hits in the service documents area, none for the name Shaw. and none for the Notts and Derby.

Max

Enquiring for a friend - after a bit of a search I think he gave me the wrong number. He came across a British Medal for sale ?? £100 plus.

Have found Pte 52424 John William SHAW d 31 July 1917 31yrs. Remembered on Menin Gate. Thanks for your reply. 

Haven't got access to Soldier's Effects but think his wife Harriett (nee STUBBS) and son William Edward b 1907 remained in Derby - seem to be next door to one another on 1939 Register.

Many thanks to you both 

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG

The following is irrelevant - have just seen latest post!

The only Notts & Derby soldier I can find on Ancestry near to that number is 82404 Pte Ernest Hargreaves (from Ilkeston) who attested/enlisted in March 1916, was posted to 4th Battalion N&D in March 1917, subsequently served in the 15th and 2/7th Bns and died of wounds in September 1917.

As phsvm has said - more please on the info. you have..

Rgds

Mike

Edited by Langdon

Soldiers' Efffects shows a £4 war gratuity for J W Shaw 52424 - which indicates an enlistment date of June 1916 or thereabouts.

Mike