Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Able Seaman Henry Driscoll HM S/M E10

Andy Shaw

New area of research for me. Recently picked up a Victory and British War medal to Able Seaman Henry Driscoll who served on Submarine E10 and died on 21st January 1915. I've only done some online searching but found out that the wreck of the E10 was found by divers back in 2002 in Helgoland, North Sea.

I am right in thinking that ratings papers survive at the NA, I would be grateful for any pointers before my next visit and if anyone has any more info on the sub.

Regards

Andy

Hello

ADM188 at the NA/PRO will get you his papers; cost about £4-5 a go. Email if you need a researcher.

You might also want to contact the RN Submarine Museum Archives to see if they have his Submarine Service Card for additional details. (Address on-line.)

Did you buy these as submariner medals (I assume so since he would be on the CWGC), or did you strike lucky?

'Britsub' is a good resource for finding out basic facts and chronology, but it is a bit of a ****** to access at the moment.

Richard

E10 left Harwich on 18 January 1915 together with E5 and E15 to patrol The German Bight. They ran into heavy weather off The German Coast and only E5 and E15 made it back to base. E10 was officially posted as "Overdue - presumed lost". She is presumed to have struck a mine. If the wreck has been discovered this may yield a clue as to the boat's actual fate.

Graham.

Richard/Graham,

Thanks for the quick response, I found out a little more on line.

Found, Sub that simply vanished.

A British submarine which vanished on patrol during World War I has been found almost perfectly preserved in 120ft of water in the North Sea. The remains of the crew of 31 will remain undisturbed in the submarine, E-10, which will become an official war grave.

The vessel is the last of the E-class submarines to be accounted for.Commanded by Lt. Cdr William St. J. Fraser, from Harwich, it was on patrol with another sub in January 1915, stalking ships of the German grand fleet, when it suddenly changed course and disappeared.

Evidence on the wreck shows it hit a mine off the island of Heligoland, near Denmark. The sub sustained damage that would have made her "sink like a stone", according to Sascha Kellersohn, leader of the German diving team which discovered her.

The E-10 was build by Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness and launched on December 29, 1913. She was identified by the production number, 431, near the starboard propeller. Las year Mr. Kellersohn found another E-type, the E-16, off Scotland.

He said the latest find "allows for historical closure and for any descendants of the dead to mourn for them". Mr Kellersohn added: "We will never venture inside: it is a war grave and we have too much respect for the brave men who died with her".