Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Monarch January 1911, Elswick, Tyne

Hyacinth1326

HMS Monarch.jpg

Note the dipped fore mast and spotting top

In order to negotiate the Redheugh, King Edward and especially the High level bridges.  The road deck of the latter was high but the arches were not.

Thanks for that reminder.

The photograph also shows just how tight the fit was as the ship passed between central island formed by the Swing Bridge [seen left] and the river bank.

On a personal note, the Redheugh Bridge will not be forgotten by me. I was working near there in the mid-1960s and as the office junior, I stepped out of the car with my arms full of the equipment. I couldn't reach the door-handle properly and closed the car door leaving behind a few milimetres off the tip of one of my fingers. A nice clean guillotine action and I didn't feel a thing at that same moment, but it certainly hurt later!

Edited by michaeldr

Thanks TCC,

What a great photograph!

First of all the detail on the ship is interesting: no barrels on the B turret, but already with torpedo netting booms

I wonder what the date of the photograph is? I presume that she is going down the Tyne pior to her sea trails in July 1914, and that at this stage she was still the Ottoman battleship Sultân Osmân-ı Evvel

Off topic - This exiled Geordie recognises St Nicholas' cathedral's Scottish Crown and the castle, but what is seen on the sky-line to the left?

20 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

sky-line to the left?

St Mary's Church, across the river?

On 16/09/2019 at 11:11, michaeldr said:

The photograph also shows just how tight the fit was as the ship passed between central island formed by the Swing Bridge [seen left] and the river bank.

The width of the channel between the Swing Bridge and the bank determined the maximum beam on British warships in the Edwardian era because all ships had to be able to sail up to Elswick to be fitted with their guns.

The Customs House on the opposite bank.

Thanks for those ideas SJ & Hedley
You're right that the Customs House was on the opposite bank, but I think it's just out of frame (to the right) here
The distinctive roof-top clock suggests it is the Guildhall which is seen above the forecastle

...with St Nicholas Cathedral crown tower and the  Norman castle rearing up on the skyline.  Take away the soot, the smoke and signs of heavy industry and the view, taken from the Gateshead side, is still easily recognisable today.    The Guildhall is one of those fascinating architectural sandwiches. Destined to be turned into a hard rock cafe :unsure:  1780s classical without but three distinct late mediaeval buildings within.

Off topic - 'This exiled Geordie recognises St Nicholas' cathedral's Scottish Crown and the castle, but what is seen on the sky-line to the left?'

The Turnbull Warehouse rearing up above The Close

Turnbull warehouse.jpg

Edited by Hyacinth1326

23 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Thanks TCC,

What a great photograph!

First of all the detail on the ship is interesting: no barrels on the B turret, but already with torpedo netting booms

I wonder what the date of the photograph is? I presume that she is going down the Tyne pior to her sea trails in July 1914, and that at this stage she was still the Ottoman battleship Sultân Osmân-ı Evvel

Off topic - This exiled Geordie recognises St Nicholas' cathedral's Scottish Crown and the castle, but what is seen on the sky-line to the left?

I too like the old photos of the dreadnoughts. 

Regards her 'trials', wouldn't she need to be in finished state and ready for handing over before she ran her trials? As along with engines, manoeuvrability, etc, they also test armament and everything else. So she'll need a further spell of fitting out down-river somewhere where they re-assemble the masts, complete the main turrets, etc. 

Check out https://www.navygeneralboard.com/hms-agincourt/  for some very interesting reasons why the guns were not fitted.  And why the heads were designed in the way they were......

Thanks for that link GH

TCC - your post No.13 above was nearer the mark than mine 

see GH's link - In June 1914 the Sultan Osman I finally preceded under her own steam down the Tyne, for her final fitting out. Her tripod masts had to be hinged downward in order to pass under several bridges, but she made the journey without incident. Now it was hoped to see the ship on her trials by the end of June................

On 7th July, 1914 “Sultân Osmân-ı Evve” (Sultan Osman 1) sailed into the North Sea for the first for her trials. 

Regarding the financial aspect of the take over of the Sultân Osmân-ı Evvel

see my post No.2 here

regards

Michael

BTW,  That link supplied earlier - suggests that the guns were not fitted to "Thursday" turret,  but TeeCeeCee's wonderful photo shows that "Monday" was toothless.  Can't see the 5th turret of course.  

• 2 weeks later...

The armoured cruiser HMS Bacchante is also to be seen on the 'Heart of Oak' site, 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ds2MM5UW0AAqF69.jpg

though HoO is a little too brief on her service in the Great War. Bacchante's battle honours included the Dardanelles, as well as Heligoland.

Bacchante can be seen here http://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/hms-bacchante-gallipoli as sketched from Gallipoli by Capt. L F S Hore, 8th Light Horse Regiment. There are also some details of her activity at the Dardanelles in1915