Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staring at God / Simon Heffer

seaJane

Five-star review in the Telegraph - "a brilliant history of the Home Front in the Great War".

Anyone read the book? I can't see all the review through the paywall...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/staring-god-simon-heffer-review-brilliant-history-home-front/

sJ

Edited by seaJane
Add url

It claims to be the Number One best seller in the WW1 Military History section even though it won't be released until 19th September! I presume pre-order sales are high, but I only wish my books were so sought after before the ink was even dry...

Only a real cynic would note that Simon Heffer is a Tottygraph columnist. :whistle:

1 hour ago, sueburden said:

There is a review on Amazon which might be of interest.

Sue

Can you post a link? I have just looked and there seem to be no reviews (that I can see, anyway)

29 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Can you post a link? I have just looked and there seem to be no reviews (that I can see, anyway)

The one in the OP no good?

Edited by IPT

13 minutes ago, IPT said:

Not to those of us who are too stingy to subscribe (including the OP herself) :)

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Not to those of us who are too stingy to subscribe (including the OP herself) :)

The poor man has a subscription. That's not the problem.

19 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Only a real cynic would note that Simon Heffer is a Tottygraph columnist. :whistle:

Gerard de Groot gave it a favourable review in Saturday's Times, saying that he learned a lot of new things. The main negative for him seemed to be reading at such length about such a dislikeable bunch of people (i.e. just about every politician mentioned, by the sound of it). 

Edited by Nick Beale
typo

13 hours ago, IPT said:

No: I wanted to see the review on Amazon to whicg Post 2 referred but which I couldn't see when I looked 

8 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

No: I wanted to see the review on Amazon to whicg Post 2 referred but which I couldn't see when I looked 

Well, if you're going to resort to using facts, i'll take my business elsewhere.

I can't see any reviews either. Just a short blurb.

Hmm-   Top of the bestsellers for military books on Amazon UK- although not published for another 2 days.  Ergo, no sales ranking.  About as reliable as Top Ten hits on TOTP of yesteryear.

Given the size of the book, the plugging of it and the publisher-then, it seems certain to be a staple of many charity shops in about 2 years time.. 

18 hours ago, Nick Beale said:

Gerard de Groot gave it a favourable review in Saturday's Times, saying that he learned a lot of new things. The main negative for him seemed to be reading at such length about such a dislikeable bunch of people (i.e. just about every politician mentioned, by the sound of it). 

Also commented that it was rather long (which it is!)

Looking forward greatly to getting a copy for review. The author is no mere columnist, but an historian, a sound book reviewer and author on other topics

I also think 'plugging' a book is something quite other that it being sent out for review. Fact is, most authors would go to the stake for the reviews it has received. And, if the reviews are correct, I think the book sounds like a 'keeper' and I doubt many will end up in charity shops  very quickly!

regards

David 

Edited by David Filsell

Telegraph reviewer is Andrew Roberts, who obviously knows little about the home front 1914-1918 as he continually is amazed at "new" information that has been in the public arena for years (if you're reasonably well read), eg, high levels of prostitution (who'd have guessed?) etc. Heffer manages to get a double whammy on both Lloyd George and Haig, the first for not stopping the second and the second for killing too many.

Roberts says it is not a military, but a social and political history. Hence his expert knowledge of Haig.

I'll wait to see if GUEST is right.

Mike

How’s the style ?  Is it hard work ?

I read his Age of Decadence, and found it terribly difficult.

First rate narrative in terms of content and detail : actually, one of the most authoritative books I have ever read.

But I felt like no end of a dullard, just trying to follow the text at times.

Phil

'Scholarly, objective and extremely well written', says Roberts, Phil. 

I wonder how long the primary research section is in the bibliography? There's nothing wrong with narratives based on secondary sources, as they can cobble together old stuff into new interpretations and they keep the public interested in history. I read some in areas that I know nothing about (Anglo-Saxon England eg), but I just can't read ones on subjects in which I've dabbled in primary sources. Each to his/her/their own of course.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

One fifth of the way through the book now.

The problem for me is that Heffer throws so many names into the pot during the narrative that my head spins.  It’s very hard to assimilate the story when the cast list is so large.  That, I must admit, is a failure on my part.....I wonder whether I suffer from some sort of attention deficiency syndrome !

Let me say, though, that the impact of the stuff so far has been terrific. I’m really shocked at the extent of the drink problem that afflicted  British people in the pursuit of essential industry.  Likewise, the way restrictive practices impinged on the conduct of labour comes as an eye opener.  There were some very bloody minded people wielding a lot of power on the shop floor.

I actually blurted out to my wife this morning ... I’m surprised that we managed to win  the First World War ! .

That on the strength of the first twenty per cent of the content, as revealed on my Kindle device.

What I must do is relax a bit, and let the thing flow over me, not worrying so much about what I’ve failed to collate on the Who’s Who front. If just part of it sticks to the wall, it will be more than worth the effort.

Phil

I have it on good authority that God is now writing a companion volume, Staring at Simon Heffer.

My mistake, it's Max Hastings who's writing the book

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I have it on good authority that God is now writing a companion volume, Staring at Simon Heffer.

My mistake, it's Max Hastings who's writing the book

😂

By Jove, Heffer and Hastings have   a lot in common !

Phil

It's rush to judgement time again on the forum!

Heffer and Falklands Max may have some things in common perhaps - including popularity. Often not considered a good thing of course.

He seems the better writer (in my humble opinion).

He's certainly qualified to write on the subject. He read English at Cambridge and gained a PhD in modern history. He has published a raft of well regarded books and is an established journalist and commentator. (There are two previous volumes in the political series.)

His book Is a long - what's the problem? Highly detailed - another problem? . It has eight pages of primary and secondary sources as well as biographies Mr Perth Digger.

Many names in the text another problem? Many were people were importantly involved in the war (Wiki will put them in perspective). In reality the book  900 pages of text about a long war - almost seems too few.

Edited by David Filsell

Mr Perth Digger presents his compliments to Mr David Filsell and thanks him for the information, but requests to know whether the primary sources are archival as well as printed, please.

Thanks David. BTW, while I have not read Heffer's book and thus cannot comment on its merits, I do totally agree with his view on the future of cricket that he has made in the Telegraph.

Mike

One quarter of the way through, now.

Never  realised just how obsessed Asquith was with Venetia Stanley.

Bridge and booze were his other two attributes.

Can’t wait to read what he has to say about Lloyd George’s predilection !

Am I being entertained as well as informed ?  Yes !

Phil