Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn. South Staffs, 23 August 1914 - War Diary?

Trav

I can see from a plan drawn upon a note added to the War Diary for Royal Scots (see the small portion attached) that the South Staffordshire Regiment (2nd Bn. presumably) were adjacent at the same time (upper right hand side). What I haven't found is their War Diary entry for this day. Does it exist, or am I just not having any luck finding it? I have an Ancestry membership, and have successfully downloaded other War Diaries from the National Archives.

Any assistance or information much appreciated.

Harmignies.jpg

Edited by Trav
correction to war diary

3 minutes ago, Trav said:

I've no idea what I was doing wrong then... :D:unsure:

Probably nothing Trav, the first page of the set is 2nd South Staffs Jan to Dec 1917 which clearly it is not :blink:

J

😀 You could well be right there, at least the rest of the pages seem to be in the correct order, thankfully!

The plan shows the Staffs to the right, east of the R. Scots centred around Spiennes, but the Staffs diary states the R.Scots were right of the Staffs... which one is correct I wonder?

My money is on the diagram above, or were the Staffs, like 2 RIR, separated into companies, and integrated into the firing line?

Anyone?

I read the Staffs diary as, the battalion less D Coy remained at Harmingies? But the RS were clearly to their left. I wonder if RS should read Royal Berks who were to the right of the Staffs at Vellereille le Sec

J

I'm sure you're correct. My focus is on every minor detail concerning 2RIR, my grandfather's unit, that day.

I've read all I can find that concerns their movements and am now working on any tangential sources. The R.Scots war diary was very useful, more so the later additions, letters and diagrams.

2 years ago I knew only that he was in WWI, today I've a 200 page document detailing his life up to 1926, and can locate him on 23/08/14 to within a few hundred metres... thanks in large part to this forum and it's members.

I hope to stand in the same spot later in November too. 🙂