Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An Interesting 07 Bayonet

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from sunny Sherwood Forest.

I am posting images of a bayonet which has been in my collection for some 20 years.  A standard 1907 SMLE bayonet by Sanderson, blade marked 1-17.

The interesting thing is that it has been pinned to the fore end of an SMLE rifle.  The bayonet was obviously fixed and a hole drilled through the pommel and the bayonet lug.

A pin has been put through and peened over on both sides permanently fixing the bayonet.  I am wondering why this was done, would it be perhaps for drill purpose rifles kept for bayonet practice?

This piece was not a "one off", it came from a dealer who had 10 or 12 of them of which only 3 (which I bought) had retained their grips.  

So, if anyone has any idea what these bayonets were used for I would be most interested.

Old Robin H1179537440_DSC01559(2).JPG.7c6bc4a00c1c7a336e84014f678a9f33.JPGDSC01560.JPG.4716a0f7f57a0cc96bd611ece98530c5.JPGDSC01561.JPG.3363dfc30646bfa05ea0bd3bce68dcd9.JPGDSC01562.JPG.9644035d73939a66f557ba9112963107.JPGood

I have never seen or heard of one of these.

The grip-less ones would not have been easy to manipulate, but pinning it to the rifle means that it too is limited in its uses, so pin it to a free-floating fore-end. 

You could then mount the bayonet vertically onto a thick dowel and base for display???

Regards,

JMB

During 1940 "pikes" were fashioned for LDV/Home Guard units in the absence of firearms as a short term expedient.

I wonder if these might be part of such an assembly? The nosepiece could then be attached to a suitable length of wood or pipe.

I believe I have some pictures somewhere.

Display is the only other reason I can think of (as JMB suggests)

CHris

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

I have never seen or heard of one of these.

The grip-less ones would not have been easy to manipulate, but pinning it to the rifle means that it too is limited in its uses, so pin it to a free-floating fore-end. 

You could then mount the bayonet vertically onto a thick dowel and base for display???

Regards,

JMB

Or possibly ww2 home guard Pike.

edit...it beeped as I was submitting, sorry Chris.

Edited by Dave66

Chris & Dave,

Your suggestion of pikes for the Home Guard is a much better idea ( that I have heard of), and is a good use of otherwise unusable Bayonets.

Regards, 

JMB

Or they all came from a display, the bayonets being pinned on to stop thievery,  who knows pure conjecture.  There may be a definitive answer out there but that and the LDV idea seem most likely.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in on this. Yes, fixed to pikes seems about right - OR those wooden training rifles they gave to the LDV / HG?

Edited by trajan

I have never seen something like this one. 

It is difficult, according my humble opinion, to stick this on a rifle. 

Too big and too heavy. 

Regards

D. 

On 14/09/2019 at 21:46, 4thGordons said:

During 1940 "pikes" were fashioned for LDV/Home Guard units in the absence of firearms as a short term expedient.

I wonder if these might be part of such an assembly? The nosepiece could then be attached to a suitable length of wood or pipe.

I believe I have some pictures somewhere.

Display is the only other reason I can think of (as JMB suggests)

CHris

Ayup everyone. Its great to be back after such a lengthy absence.

I think that 'Chris' may have hit the nail square on the head with this one. Looking at the condition of the SMLE nose cap, its not the best of condition. Also, the 'Home Guard', due to a severe lack of firearms... were quite an inventive lot. No need here to mention Cpl Jones.

Greetings From Sherwood.

Many thanks for your opinions . I had never considered L.D.V. /  Home Guard use, makes perfect sense .

Robin