Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Death Plaque' - Edward Vincent Dennis, or Vincent Edward Dennis?

aengland

Technically not a question perhaps closely linked to Medals..... but here goes.

A friend of mine (yes it truly is! it is not me) is considering buying from a local (Norfolk) antique shop a 'Death Plaque' named to Edward Vincent Dennis.  He quickly looked up the entry on the CWGC website the name, and sadly drew a blank.... being a bright young thing he started swapping the names around and found a Vincent Edward Dennis, a Shoeing-Smith with the Royal Army Service Corps (Died 2 September 1918), and I can only concur when I looked up for him the names on Soldiers Died..... also the Vincent Edward Dennis came from Brancaster in Norfolk

My friend asked me the obvious question as to whether the forenames might have been changed around...... was that a practice that others on the Forum have seen? or this one of the plaques that is simply wrong (if that is the case that can only be true of a few I would surmise)?  

What was the protocol? was the name recorded on the plaque that which was given at attestation? and perhaps in this case the name given was the name he wished to be known by i.e. Vincent, because (perhaps) he didn't like Edward or Ted?  That is certainly true of friends of mine today.

I had to be honest and said that I didn't know, but that the Great War Forum would almost certainly have someone that does!

So can someone help us please?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Andrew

Looking  at the census returns, birth registrations  and soldiers effects (fathers name Edward) 

indicates that Edward Vincent Dennis was his true name (enlisted and served as Vincent Edward Dennis)

prefered to be known as Vincent  as 1911 census

Ray

He is on the St Withburga Church Tablet Holkham Norfolk as Edward Vincent Dennis died 1918

There is no other close name on SDGW or CWGC

So I suggest you are correct with the ASC Man.

Charlie