Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, 'B' Coy Tidworth 1920 - few medals

Moonraker

Browsing eBay, I came across

this postcard

(Link may be short-lived, if the card sells.)

I can see only two men wearing a medal - and only one each - though an officer may be sporting a ribbon.

Surely by 1920 men who had served in the war (and some/most of those in the photo would have) would have received the customary service medals - or were these not worn on a formal occasion as in the photo?

Moonraker

EDIT:  the original was probably not a postcard, more likely a photograph.

Edited by Moonraker

Interesting. G***ling about, I find that that 1 DCLI didn't serve in Tidworth in the 1920s (Ireland, then Aldershot, then India). 2 DCLI was in Tidworth in 1922. Of course it's not a full company, so perhaps a batch of newly trained soldiers having just joined their battalion? That doesn't explain the lack of medals though, particularly on the officers and NCOs. 

Are you sure of the unit and year?

Acknown

I am by no means an expert, but I thoght scarlet uniforms were not re-issued post-GW. I wonder if it's pre-war. (Pre-GW, that is)

Would it be likely then that the medals shown are the QSA/KSA or are there other possibilities (Long Service for example) ?

Simon

15 hours ago, Acknown said:

... Are you sure of the unit and year?

Nothing to do with me, that's what the vendor claims. Before starting this thread, I had my suspicions about the date and had thoughts similar to those posted in reply (for which thanks). Currently the vendor is listing 8,803 items covering a wide range of topics and including other photographs of posed military groups - and an informal one of the

DCLI 2nd VB Group at Bridestowe 1904

Moonraker

I question how that seller advertises those images as used/pre-owned when they are new prints, not the original.

Probably not relevant to the discussion but it would be nice to know where the original images are from.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

2 hours ago, Waddell said:

I question how that seller advertises those images as used/pre-owned when they are new prints, not the original...

I confess that I hadn't noticed that, and it's not clear that it is a copy until one scrolls some distance down the page. The practice of offering modern copies of old postcards is a sore point with  dealers - and a discussion about it had to be deleted from a postcard forum because of possible libel. I've moaned about it before here on the GWF so shall say no more. (So our own mods can relax.) I suspect that the questionable date was on the back of the original, which may no longer be in the vendor's possession.

Moonraker

Another photo of the 1st DCLI taken in the same spot as the first.

Cue for someone with better eyesight and more time than I have at the moment to see if the same soldiers appear in both photos. There appear to be some similarities. (A comparison is not helped by the eBay photo being fuzzy.)

(Let it be whispered that some vendors of copies of old postcards and photos harvest the originals from the Web, hence the practice of people selling original cards on eBay putting a spoiler over their images.)

(Same trophy in both photos.)

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker