Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Thomas Gilbert Royal Fusiliers G/17926 DOW Aug 1916

Keith_history_buff

I cannot seem to find a record for this man on SDGW or CWGC.

His entry on the medal roll states that he died of wounds on 6 August 1916. It states that he served in France from 22 Feb to 14 Jul 1916.

He has an entry in the Register of Soldiers' Effects, recording his death at Chelsea on the same date. His sisters Amelia, May and Elizabeth are recorded, as is John Tomlinson. A death of a man in the Chelsea district in Q3 is registered, with a birth date of 1889.

He is associated with the address of 18 Gawber Street, Bethnal Green. 

The best match that I have been able to find on the census is a Thomas Joseph Gilbert, belatedly baptised on 22 March 1893 with his younger brother William Arthur, born 29 Jan 1893. The mother and father are Thomas Francis & Amelia Elizabeth respectively. The family reside at 18 Scrutton Street, Hoxton, in the Shoreditch registration district, on the 1891 Census.

I cannot see him either.

His name in the Casualty Lists suggests he was probably originally wounded early July 1916;

Forename     T
Surname     Gilbert
Casualty Status     Wounded
Rank     Private
Service Number     17926
Regiment     Royal Fusiliers
Category     NCO's and Men
Daily List Date     5th August 1916

Forename     T
Surname     Gibert    (sic)
Casualty Status     Previously Reported Wounded, Now Reported Died of Wounds
Rank     Private
Service Number     17926
Regiment     Royal Fusiliers
Category     NCO's and Men
Daily List Date     28th October 1916

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

It seems that in the 1911 Census, May and Elizabeth were in the Workhouse Cottage Homes and Amelia junior was with her Uncle/Aunt (Davis). Some downturn in family fortune 1901-1911 ?

Edited by charlie962

Thanks for the extra info, Charlie. I much prefer using FMP to Ancestry when it comes to census searches, and could not get anywhere with the 1901 and 1911 census searches.

Thomas Francis died 1919  edit 1909,   but Amelia E looks to have died 1915 although I couldn't find her in 1911 Census.

But all this doesn't answer your original Q- is Thomas on CWGC ?  ie possible non commem ?

Edited by charlie962

This appears to be his internment on Sat 12th August 

His age is given as aged 27 born 1889

gilbert.JPG.41daff59daf74150a7585f4950ecf4f2.JPG

Buried in Chingford Mount Cemetery

Ray

On 14/09/2019 at 13:29, charlie962 said:

It seems that in the 1911 Census, May and Elizabeth were in the Workhouse Cottage Homes and Amelia junior was with her Uncle/Aunt (Davis). Some downturn in family fortune 1901-1911 ?

Thomas can also be found in the workhouse (Belmont Workhouse Sutton) on the 1911 census

workhouse.JPG.5c30990c0b1cd6ae34a00de0ad010901.JPG

aged 22 born Bethnal Green

Ray

cannot see him on CWGC tried every permutation I can think off

All that's left is to obtain his death cirt and hope the cause of death was war related

I think the odds are that it was

Ray

I'll get in touch with IFCP shortly. It looks likely that a death certificate will show that he died of wounds. I wonder if his grave still exists? Thanks to all who contributed to this trawl through various records.

Many thanks
Keith

• 2 years later...

What was the outcome of this case, was a DC obtained and if so did it confirm death from wounds? I don't see him listed on CWGC, nor is he on the IFCP list.

• 6 months later...

A death certificate was obtained. The two causes of death were the gun shot wound to the head, coupled with meningitis. His sister A[melia], recorded as Next of Kin on the respective WFA pension card, reported the death. CWGC have been approached by IFCP today.

Did his sister die during WW1, with the result that she never contacted IWGC/CWGC after its creation?

• 9 months later...