Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marriage witness, prior to execution

Jervis

While searching Irish GRO records I unexpectedly came across the marriage cert of 1916 rebel leader Joseph Plunkett. Plunkett was married in Kilmainham jail in the early hours of the morning, on the day of his execution. (The record is all the more interesting as there are no contemporary death certs available for the executed rebels)

The marriage was witnessed by a Sergeant of the 3rd/ Royal Irish Regiment. The 3/RiR were in action against the rebels during the rising. I am interested in identifying who this man was. 

I think the name is “John Carberry” but I am unsure. I have search ancestry records for this name and rank but found no obvious candidate. 

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

I have been to  Kilmainham jail ,have stood in the chapel,the guide told us the story,the groom came in one door,the bride the other door,both forbidden to speak to each other,other than  their vows,,when ceremony finished,both left separate doors,the chapel was dark,not getting in to the rights or wrongs,it was a sad place.Bit like the chap who was wounded taken to hospital to save his life,when his health stabilized,a door knocked through Kilmainham yard wall,ambulance picked the man up under guard,ambulance driven through the new gate,man tied to a chair moved to  the end of the yard,and shot :poppy:

,again NOT getting into the rights or wrongs,a long time ago different times

I could not find him. If he was with 3rd RIR all the time, then he would never have left UK

3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Clonmel. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war. Moved within a few days of declaration of war to Richmond Barracks in Dublin. In September 1916 moved to Templemore (Co. Tipperary) but by the end of 1917 was back at Dublin. In April 1918 the bn moved to England and joined Irish Reserve Brigade at Larkhill.

I don't think there is much doubt that his name was Carberry

carberry.jpg.0601768d20ae64d4ae63c2ba7107e581.jpg

This is the other counterpart marriage cert to the one linked to = https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1916/09779/5549627.pdf

Craig

I suspect  he is the John Carberry listed as Acting Serjeant  on  the Medal Roll for the Hampshire Regiment, ex-RI Regiment.  There are other entries for a man of the same name on the MR and MIC -and same service number  (And another John Carberry on a different service number and different date of entry in France-Both seem to have ended up in the Labour Corps)   MIC for both John Carberry for RI regiment do not give rank beyond Private-but the Hamsphre MR seems to point to him

image.png.f9190d58f135d5cb38e4a9a9f5ea90f9.png

On 13/09/2019 at 17:52, corisande said:

I could not find him. If he was with 3rd RIR all the time, then he would never have left UK

Yes. I was thinking the same. Although many of the 3/RiR men involved in the Rising had been at the front previously. 

I suspect  he is the John Carberry listed as Acting Serjeant  on  the Medal Roll for the Hampshire Regiment, ex-RI Regiment.  There are other entries for a man of the same name on the MR and MIC -and same service number  (And another John Carberry on a different service number and different date of entry in France-Both seem to have ended up in the Labour Corps)   MIC for both John Carberry for RI regiment do not give rank beyond Private-but the Hamsphre MR seems to point to him

image.png.f9190d58f135d5cb38e4a9a9f5ea90f9.png

Thanks. I had seen the MIC record, but had overlooked because it did not note the change in rank. Good candidate.