Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Thomas Peacock

maudson

I am seeking help yet again. I am trying to write up the story of John Thomas Peacock (sometimes just known as Thomas), born in Ringstead, Northamptonshire in 1896. The Ringstead Roll of Honour has him in the 1st Battalion London Rifle Brigade and demobilised. The Absent Voters' List for 1918 has him in the 25th Rifle Brigade as a Rifleman Reg. No. 50313. The 1919 Spring AVL has him again but with no military details.I have not managed to find him in any military records, not even the Medal Cards. I know that the London Regiment can be a little confusing. I wondered if anyone could confirm which Battalions these are and if the lack of any Medal Card may mean that he never served in a combative roll?

As always, any thoughts welcome.

David

25th Rifle Brigade was a garrison battalion stationed throughout from 1916 in Falmouth (LLT).  The "London Rifle Brigade" is presumably 1/5th (City of London) Battalion (London Rifle Brigade).  So two different regiments.  As you've found (not) he doesn't seem to have a medal record.  There were 2 Thomas Peacock in the RB so perhaps a confusion of records?

Max

Many thanks Max

I am once again trying to find soldiers of the Regiment with close Regimental Numbers.so that I can estimate when he first went to France. 

David

I cannot help re. the LRB, however his Rifle Brigade number falls within the group of Territorials attached to the RB and transfers from other units.

There were a considerable number of LRB placed into the RB at the end of the war and given RB numbers prior to demob, placed into RB battalions until that time. The 25th as Max says was a Territorial battalion of the RB although having very little to do with them. They spent the war at Falmouth in Trevathen Camp.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853