Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which "Lewis Gunner" Badge ?

MERLINV12

Your help & expertise is needed yet again, I would like to know which would be the correct "Lewis Gunner" badge my GF would have worn.

He served with 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards 25-10-1916 to 09-11-1918, and qualified as a "Lewis Gunner" on 15-06-1917.

I am aware that there were Metal and Cloth badges, and that the Guards Cloth badge, was slightly larger and had brown thread rather than the white/cream coloured thread of other regiments LG badges. Were the Guards Metal badges different to other regiments ?

Can someone please tell me whether he would have worn a metal or cloth badge in the field during his service period.

TIA.

29 minutes ago, MERLINV12 said:

Your help & expertise is needed yet again, I would like to know which would be the correct "Lewis Gunner" badge my GF would have worn.

He served with 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards 25-10-1916 to 09-11-1918, and qualified as a "Lewis Gunner" on 15-06-1917.

I am aware that there were Metal and Cloth badges, and that the Guards Cloth badge, was slightly larger and had brown thread rather than the white/cream coloured thread of other regiments LG badges. Were the Guards Metal badges different to other regiments ?

Can someone please tell me whether he would have worn a metal or cloth badge in the field during his service period.

TIA.

The metal badges were a standard size without difference between Foot Guards and Line Infantry.  The Guards took their different cloth badges as described by you seriously and the skill at arms badges matched the rank and service stripes with which they would sit alongside.  With that in mind it’s most likely that Guards pattern cloth LG in wreath would have been worn by your grandfather.

E9D4941D-574B-45DD-BEB0-79548F92A918.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

As I seem to be on a roll :D, rather than start another thread, can somone please tell me whether my GF would have worn a metal or cloth "Wound Stripe", during the period described in my original post, assuming that the Guards version was the same as other regiments..

Wounded 04-05-18 & 04-11-18.

Edited by MERLINV12

1 hour ago, MERLINV12 said:

As I seem to be on a roll :D, rather than start another thread, can somone please tell me whether my GF would have worn a metal or cloth "Wound Stripe", during the period described in my original post, assuming that the Guards version was the same as other regiments..

Wounded 04-05-18 & 04-11-18.

The issued badges were woven gilt braid on a drab (khaki) cloth backing.  Gilding metal versions could be purchased by soldiers but the Guards were very strict about wearing only issued insignia.

See also the enclosed photo of Irish Guards medium Machine gunners and you will notice the cloth, Guards pattern MG badges on several men’s left forearm (tap photo to enlarge).

948FC9A0-9FF4-44BB-A36B-C4E93ED38D4C.jpeg

F967EA78-E8AB-4B0B-B759-225140075BB9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

THANKS once again, you really are a mine of information.

Now all I have to do is track down the correct badges, one LG and two Wound Stripes !

EDIT: Another "Senior Moment", and four red "battalion" stripes (I's).

Edited by MERLINV12

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, trooper23 said:

Any reason why at least two solidiers in the photo are not wearing puttees: Knowing the Guards strictness with regards to dress I assume this is deliberate?

I doubt there was a specific reason, it seems more likely to me that they were stood down in the lines and called out at short notice for an opportunistic photo.  I think this is one of a group of photos taken by a now famous lady pioneer photographer just on the outbreak of war.  She featured not long back in the print media and I think an exhibition in the IWM.  On that day she took a lot of photos of Guardsmen, I think at Knightsbridge.

37 minutes ago, trooper23 said:

Insightful as always thanks.

Glad to help, it’s become something of a famous photo, partly because of the apparent spontaneity and not least because it’s thought that none in it survived the first year of the war.

1 hour ago, trooper23 said:

Blimey!

Some battalions were virtually wiped out during the retreat from Mons.

1 minute ago, Muerrisch said:

The wound badges were only worn from July 1916.

Not sure if there’s crossed wires, but to clarify my comment about the Irish Guards photo relates purely to 1914 and is a separate matter to the initial query regarding wound stripes.

On 13/09/2019 at 13:33, FROGSMILE said:

The metal badges were a standard size without difference between Foot Guards and Line Infantry.  The Guards took their different cloth badges as described by you seriously and the skill at arms badges matched the rank and service stripes with which they would sit alongside.  With that in mind it’s most likely that Guards pattern cloth LG in wreath would have been worn by your grandfather.

E9D4941D-574B-45DD-BEB0-79548F92A918.jpeg

I had absolutely no idea that "Guards Pattern" skill etc badges were different from standard issue before post - WW II.

If they did wear them in our period they were regimentally/ Brigade provided and funded, because there is no provision in Clothing Regs or Priced Vocabs of the period.

I shall dig around. Intriguing thought!

25 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I had absolutely no idea that "Guards Pattern" skill etc badges were different from standard issue before post - WW II.

If they did wear them in our period they were regimentally/ Brigade provided and funded, because there is no provision in Clothing Regs or Priced Vocabs of the period.

I shall dig around. Intriguing thought!

I don’t know how they were provided, but it seems that they were.  The bulk of thread used was much more brown in shade.  As you know there were a great many Guards dress differences and still are

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Some battalions were virtually wiped out during the retreat from Mons.

Yes I appreciate but its salutary to actually see a picture of such men, knowing what was to come.

9 minutes ago, trooper23 said:

Yes I appreciate but its salutary to actually see a picture of such men, knowing what was to come.

Yes, I understand what you mean and feel the same thing, especially as the type of barracks they were living in is one that I experienced myself, which somehow makes it even more evocative.

With guidance from Frogsmile & Muerrisch

I have now obtained the correct LG cloth badge that my GF would have worn.

THANKS both :thumbsup:

Edited by MERLINV12

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2019 at 14:21, FROGSMILE said:

F967EA78-E8AB-4B0B-B759-225140075BB9.jpeg

Classic photo!

Likely tragic later history. :-(

Weapon directions catch the eye - Were those belts of live ammo?

I'm suspecting that perhaps they were - and that as well trained machine gunners they are not pointing their weapons at the photographer!

Good men!  :-)