Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A missing grandfather

JOhn Watts

2 hours ago, Neale1961 said:

Some thoughts to consider or reject as you wish.

Thanks for those leads

1. I think we can ignore D Bruce as he was a Lance Cpl when he was killed. I am convinced that our man is an officer. It is unlikely that the subject of OP would have taken the trouble to get photographed as a Lt if he was not

2. 2nd Lt Andrew Fulton looked a possibility, but I found his photo and am pretty sure it is not him

fulton2.jpg.e80603f5e616b7d6768da854b3ef4bc1.jpg

I'm going to have to pause my research for the weekend.  You've all been very helpful and I believe I have made good progress and possibly a breakthrough.

It is possible that David Bryce Grant is my cousins missing grandfather.  A lot of things seem to fit, never mind the change in surname. Memories do change over time!

I have ordered various military records and certificates to provide evidence and am building n Ancestry tree  if you care to take a look.  It is still very much work in progress - in due course each fact entered will be evidenced.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/163736654/family

Final question for today.  David Bryce Grant passed out from Officer Cadet Unit on 28 Nov 1917 to be a 2nd Lieutenant in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Can anyone advise where I might find info on likely Officer Cadet Units. (Possibly based in Glasgow?)

Many Thanks