Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to Identify regiment from image please

colingcp

I have this image of solders fro the first World War. I believe the man in the centre marked with a black cross is my Grandfather. I am not certain who the other two soldiers marked with black crosses are but it is possible that they could be related to my Grandfather. Would anyone recognise any of the cap badges in the picture or would be able to help with any observations. Any thing would be gratfully received.

Thank you

ww1 image.jpg

Young soldiers of the ‘Training Reserve’ in Wales I think.  Notice the few with buttons as cap badges.  This is probably just before the creation of ‘young soldier’ (the youngest) and ‘graduated’ battalions in order to create a system for reinforcement as lads reached set ages.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Colin brilliant photograph, I agree with identifications of cap badges also with button s converted to cap badge used by Training Reserve.

Like the way the Welsh Regiment soldier far right is standing to attention, whereas the rest are "chilling out".

Thanks for sharing, Tony.

31 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The boy under the top left X has a farrier's arm badge ?

Yes, I recall that Infantry who qualified as ‘cold shoers’ were permitted to wear the horse shoe badge.

I discovered the photograph after my mother dies a few years ago I still have so many unansewed questions as to why three crosses would have been put on the photograph assuming it was sent to a family member. Probably never know and alas no one to ask either.

1 hour ago, colingcp said:

I discovered the photograph after my mother dies a few years ago I still have so many unansewed questions as to why three crosses would have been put on the photograph assuming it was sent to a family member. Probably never know and alas no one to ask either.

The location is almost certainly Kinmel Park Camp and the lads from one of the two Welsh Training Reserve Brigades, the 13th and 14th, both of which were based at Kinmel.

B754A141-F279-43C7-885D-CE6DD4E6039A.jpeg

A68FF830-067B-4748-BBAE-0322694C750A.jpeg

11A1D5EC-7700-47A8-99ED-C0EEA9E8BC71.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE