Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

40615 Daniel Stewart McKenzie RFA

Chef_Hendrix

Evening all,

I've been researching my Aunties Great Grandad Daniel Stewart McKenzie who served as a Gnr with the 106th and for a few weeks the 109th Bde RFA, 24th Division before dying from wounds on 30th Aug 1916 . Fortunately there is quite a bit of info out there on him including several pages of service records, a newspaper obituary, War Diary and all the info associated when someone has died during the War.

He states in his records that he served with Fincastle's Horse during the Second Boer War and I can find him in the 1911 census, however anything before that is a mystery. I have made enquires on Roots and AngloBoerWar but have made no definitive connections and have yet to find his birth record or any evidence of him in any other census records.

I've attached a few images below (FindMyPast & BritishNewspaperArchive) and wondered if anyone could help me decipher his brief service record, in particular what the "O.C" and "A/C" mean in " OC A.C/106th" 

DSM.jpg.fc3b92c31da6f12fe47ef503b2f2fb64.jpg

1542458875_DSMcKe.png.cb128f7fa5c1b48338edc21d1a5c25dd.png

675816086_MckenNP.png.03e485ba5ba940022f01c4782f405568.png

James Dunse mentioned in the newspaper article, had his request for exemption refused in 1916 and was later awarded the Military Medal in 1918 whilst with 11th Royal Scots, Trench Mortar Battery.

Thanks

Gaz

Edited by Chef_Hendrix
added links

Craig,

I think that he is the most likely suspect, although his service record is Donald Stewart McKenzie and the eye colour/tattoos don't quite match on the service records but in all likeliness my guy. (although I think he has added a couple of bars to his QSA!)