Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop transports

pauldarran63

Could someone give me a website etc for ships embarking Egypt  29/30 May, arriving Britain 11 june 1919. (Soldiers coming home.)

Kind regards

Paul

miuk1914h_131841-00868_kindlephoto-22143109.jpg

On 13/09/2019 at 17:18, Ralph Currell said:

I can't make out the words preceding the voyage dates.  Do they give any clue as to the port of arrival?

Regards,

Ralph

He sailed on the Minnetonka on the 8 March 15 for Egypt. sailed back on the  30th May 1919. Looking  for  troopship  that brought him home, but no Ralph haven't a clue which port. He was with the 53rd Welsh Division ASC attached to 171 Indian combined field ambulance as a driver. 

I had a look at the Times Shipping Intelligence columns around those dates.  One possibility is the Peninsular and Oriental liner Delta. She is stated to have arrived at Port Said on 28th May from Bombay, and although no departure date from Port Said is given, she arrived at Marseilles on 3rd June.  She arrived at Plymouth on the 10th and passed Gravesend on the 11th for London.

Regards,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Currell

• 2 weeks later...

Kew ordinarily has a manifest for trooping vessels,noting cargo, officers with names and units, and ORs just in quantity and by unit.

Your detail is likely to be covered by the Ledger WO 25/3588 covering sailings Abroad for Home between April and August 1919:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4400450

which would need to be read at Kew. Manifests are filed in date of sailing sequence irrespective of where they sail from.

Edited by sotonmate