Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Richards Challenge Cup, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

dismorr59

I would be grateful if someone could help me with some research I am doing on behalf of a friend who has a large silver cup which has the inscription - 'The Richards Challenge Cup presented in memory of the late Major Richards to C Company by his relatives on the 12th of November 1910'.

Said cup previously belonged to my friend's father-in-law who recently passed away, and it is believed that his father,  James Forbes Blythe, served in the RWR and may have won the cup during the War, or may have been friendly with the Richards family. As to who Major Richards was remains a mystery, and any help in identifying who Major Richards was would be much appreciated.

In anticipation of your help, yours gratefully - Stephen

Looking at Army lists there is a Captain, Honorary Major Thomas Richards listed under 1st Volunteer Battalion RWR in 1902. Only one before 1910 that I have found so far. Just trying to see if he died c 1910. Seniority is 1891. Also found in an 1892 list with 1VB RWR

Edited by Mark1959

the surname Richards is mentioned twice in the index to digitised book "The History of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment by Charles Joseph Hart V.D. published 1906

Page 40 under the heading Bronze Medal to commemorate the Presentation of Colours to the Birmingham Loyal Association, June 4th, 1798.

By the courtesy of Major T. Richards we are able to give a representation of one of the medals presented to the members of the Association. It is of silver and is i^ths inch in diameter. On the obverse, to the right, is a female figure, intended to represent Victory, in classic attire, with arms extended in opposite.

Page 115. In the chapter headed FORMATION OF THE BIRMINGHAM RIFLE CORPS

They subscribed ;f 250 to i86o. the funds of the Corps, and ;^6oo towards equipping three additional Companies, which were called "The Gunmakers' Companies." No. 8, the first Gunmakers* Company, was given to Mr. Charles, afterwards Major Richards.

https://archive.org/stream/historystvolunt00hartgoog/historystvolunt00hartgoog_djvu.txt

Appears to be a General Practioner. Born in Chippenham Wilts. Baptised Aug 1854. Living in Bath Row with parents in 1891. With elderly father in 1901

There is a JF Blythe that joined the RWR Territorials just before the outbreak of WW2. Captain later in war and find him in list until 1945. So possibly the man who kept the trophy

Edited by Mark1959