Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pile of Vickers and Lewis but unusual tripod

arantxa

These buckets have tripods I haven’t seen before is it for quick front line movement 

8979CA56-4CD3-4A83-863A-FEAD96BE7E37.png

Hi

it’s a sangster portable tripod which is an extremely rare item these days although the leather carry box it came in originally are easier to find.

if you google it you’re bound to find a lot more

regards

• 3 weeks later...

So, the photo is captioned 'Booty won by the Infanterie-Regiment König Wilhelm I (6. Württembergisches) Nr. 124, 11th April 1917'. One German source has this to say for the regiment about that time and on that day: 

10. April 1917 - Stellungskämpfe bei Cagnicourt

11. April 1917 - Abwehr eines australischen Tankangriffes

Edited by trajan

May I hijack this thread to ask about the canvas cover on the Vickers water jacket?

New 3.2

On 12/09/2019 at 20:26, Andrew Upton said:

Andrew, thanks for the link; extremely interesting.

However, I'm slightly surprised that it doesn't (so far as I can see) mention use of the Vickers by cavalry regiments and, later, cavalry MG Squadrons during the GW. I recall a long and bitter discussion with an ex-member in which he asserted that the infantry and cavalry both continued to use the Maxim at the outbreak of war, whereas I was able to show that cavalry had received Vickers possibly before infantry units, the 10th Hussars recording receipt while at Potchefstroom in (IIRC) 1913.

21 hours ago, new3.2 said:

May I hijack this thread to ask about the canvas cover on the Vickers water jacket?

New 3.2

Hi

what in particular do you wish to know. I have only seen one original made from strong canvas with 8 brass eye holes each side. The interior had off white/grey coloured material inside which I suspect was asbestos by looking at it so I didn’t open it up.

Thanks for the reply Dave- I have a 1916 Vickers & tripod that is a "non-gun" as identified by the US ATF.  I wondered how common they were, and if there are repros available.

Ken (new3.2)  I will PM you on a Kent question.

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 20:58, new3.2 said:

15 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

what in particular do you wish to know. I have only seen one original made from strong canvas with 8 brass eye holes each side. The interior had off white/grey coloured material inside which I suspect was asbestos by looking at it so I didn’t open it up.

15 hours ago, new3.2 said:

Thanks for the reply Dave- I have a 1916 Vickers & tripod that is a "non-gun" as identified by the US ATF.  I wondered how common they were, and if there are repros available.

The type of jacket cover Dave mentions wasn't officially adopted until the 1930's, so are essentially a WW2 onwards accessory. Reproductions are widely available in non-asbestos lined display friendly versions, eg:

https://www.thegunner.net/ccp8/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=vickers-wrap-british&sid=bill0n6qiot18d0l5o9r93t608d7vfdn

Image result for ww2 vickers canvas jacket cover

However, photos showing units with unofficial in-house made covers during WW1 do exist (see below). If you want an appropriate WW1 style jacket cover, dig out an old grey army blanket and get sewing... :thumbsup:

Source: Goldsmith, Grand Old Lady, 1994, page 97:

Vickers cover ww1.JPG

Edited by Andrew Upton

On 01/10/2019 at 09:01, Steven Broomfield said:

Andrew, thanks for the link; extremely interesting.

However, I'm slightly surprised that it doesn't (so far as I can see) mention use of the Vickers by cavalry regiments and, later, cavalry MG Squadrons during the GW. I recall a long and bitter discussion with an ex-member in which he asserted that the infantry and cavalry both continued to use the Maxim at the outbreak of war, whereas I was able to show that cavalry had received Vickers possibly before infantry units, the 10th Hussars recording receipt while at Potchefstroom in (IIRC) 1913.

Hi Steven,

The site only has limited information on the use of the Vickers by cavalry units but it is there, just not on the mountings and stands page. Some of the specific unit pages have a little more information, including some of the first attendees of the Machine Gun courses on the Vickers.  Yet there’s only so many spare hours in the day to get through it all and share as much as I can. Here are a couple of example links. I’ll update the British Service page though as it’s very Infantry focussed. 

https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/british-service/the-british-army/2nd-dragoon-guards/

https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/british-service/the-british-army/machine-gun-corps/machine-gun-corps-cavalry/

On 12/09/2019 at 16:55, Dave1418 said:

Hi

it’s a sangster portable tripod which is an extremely rare item these days although the leather carry box it came in originally are easier to find.

if you google it you’re bound to find a lot more

regards

Dave, I think you’re confusing the oil can case with a case for the auxiliary mounting. They are often marked mountings tripod but this because they were originally attached to the Mk III tripods and carried the mounting pins alongside cans of oil.

I’m not aware of a leather case for the auxiliary tripod. 

There are a few photos towards the end of this page https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/accessories/load-carrying-equipment/

On 12/09/2019 at 15:19, arantxa said:

These buckets have tripods I haven’t seen before is it for quick front line movement 

8979CA56-4CD3-4A83-863A-FEAD96BE7E37.png

As already identified, it’s an auxiliary tripod for use as you suggest. Andrew has posted the link to our website but here’s a short video on the mounting and some firing from it.

Firing the Vickers MG on the Sangster Mount

31 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

Hi Steven,

The site only has limited information on the use of the Vickers by cavalry units but it is there, just not on the mountings and stands page. Some of the specific unit pages have a little more information, including some of the first attendees of the Machine Gun courses on the Vickers.  Yet there’s only so many spare hours in the day to get through it all and share as much as I can. Here are a couple of example links. I’ll update the British Service page though as it’s very Infantry focussed. 

https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/british-service/the-british-army/2nd-dragoon-guards/

https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/british-service/the-british-army/machine-gun-corps/machine-gun-corps-cavalry/

Thanks. I shall make a pot of tea and have a good rummage :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Thanks. I shall make a pot of tea and have a good rummage :thumbsup:

If there’s something specific you’re looking for then I’ve literally terabytes of information that isn’t on there so I can deep dive that for specific data. 

Rich

Richard

Ive seen several examples with different markings and specific ones marked for oil cans. The one that made me think was marked .303 tripod short as opposed to the usual markings hence why I thought it was for the sangsters tripod

It seems many members have cleared up what I was to add to.  Barrel jacket covers in various forms were in use in WWI and even used on brass maxims .455 and the common leather case was for many things but not the tripod....it does not even fit in.  I have some original period photos (pre-handbook plates) showing the auxiliary tripods attached to the pack saddlery but no stand alone case/cover.  I also have an original sangster if anybody requires one that came attached to a German maxim 08!!! Finally there are also period photos of Imperial German machine gunners using the sangster.... against their original owners!!!!!

Mark 

Dave & Andrew- Thanks for the cover information, I should have looked up my copy of Goldsmith.  I think I will try the gray blanket for my display.

Ken

• 2 months later...

Please contact me if an original sangster is required.

1fgggg.jpg

w.jpg

Fantastic picture.  Thanks