Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

bifbas

Casualty Records WW1

bifbas

Fellow enthusiasts

Could you point me in the right direction to find records of men who were wounded in ww1? I encounter 'casualty form' but am unable to find the source on Ancestry, TNA, Forces War Records.... and find Newspaper Library heavy going. Is it possible to discover types of wounds the men suffered?

many thanks in anticipation

jay dubaya

Welcome to the forum bifbas, you may find this thread of interest here

J

TEW

The B.103 form or 'Casualty Form Active Service' (See The Long Long Trail) are on Ancestry service/pension records and on FMP among soldiers' records. Not every record has a B.103.

There are other forms within the same record sets that may also give details of injuries to an individual, sometimes you may also get treatments and ongoing progress.

If you want to just browse through original Field Ambulance, Casualty Clearing Hospitals or Base Hospital admissions in National Archives series MH106 you can do so on FMP if you have a subscription.

I'll add a cropped example from a page for 34 CCS 1/7/16

1778182105_Screenshotfrom2019-09-1115-51-46.png.9ec8382057129792807efd5ea5427834.png

Image Sourced from Find My Past MH106/681

TEW

bifbas

Jay TEW and `MaxD-- thank you for a  speedy response- I have not retained my FMP subscription as I felt Ancestry and Forces were better value. Maybe I made an error? I'll explore B103 on Ancestry. Any tips?

bib

TEW

Unless you're looking for an individual or regiment it's a case of browsing the record sets. The B.103 is only likely to give something like 'GSW leg R'. Other sheets may then give more detail like penetrating wound to right leg, fractured tibia.

Pension records may have more medically oriented descriptions regarding damage to muscle, nerve, bone or blood vessels.

It would be a case of getting your eye in to recognise the likely forms and the quickest way would be using ancestry's film strip.

TEW

bifbas

Thanks Jay TEW and `MaxD-- thank you for a  speedy response- I have not retained my FMP subscription as I felt Ancestry and Forces were better value. Maybe I made an error? I'll explore B103 on Ancestry. Any tips?

bib

bifbas

Thanks TEW

I'm having little luck with 

2nd LT John Alexander Agnew Wallace MC 10 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Wounded 18/4/18 and/or 18/11/18

Evacuated to UK 20/4/18

Nothing on Ancestry Service or Pension Records or on FMP

War Diary makes no mention of wounding/ hospital

bifbas

TEW

Officer's records are not online.

TEW

bifbas

Jay TEW and `MaxD-- thank you for a  speedy response- I have not retained my FMP subscription as I felt Ancestry and Forces were better value. Maybe I made an error? I'll explore B103 on Ancestry. Any tips?

bib

Hmm, Thanks TEW- frustrating

MaxD
11 minutes ago, bifbas said:

Maybe I made an error?

Not for me to say but worth checking "Collections" on Forces War records then the "A-Z" on FMP to compare what each have. 

IF a medical record on MH 106 had survived, it would be findable at National Archives and FMP.  As he is not there, he isn't among the representative sample that these records represent.

He appears to have served beyond the end of the war reinforcing what TEW says about his records, you will have to apply for them:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Max

bifbas

morning Max

thank you for the tips. I'll check 'collections' then visit my local library to look at FMP but having checked TNA I fear that his records may not have survived.

BFI's

MaxD

Morning!

Just to clarify, the aim of advising you to check the two web sites contents was to help you decide which one has the best content for your purposes rather than just looking at the cost.

His medical records may not have survived but his service record at MoD may well hold the evidence you are looking for.

Max