Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Military Mission, South Russia, 1919

RFT

Identification Card "Pass" dated 18th Nov., 1919.

Issued to an Airman and Stamped "British Military Mission, South Russia."

Signed Capt. C. Jones.

Would like to know the identity of Capt. C. Jones?  Was he Army, Navy or Air Force?

Can anyone help?

Rob

Edited by RFT
Correction.

Straying into areas here that I don't know much about, but I believe that RAF ranks were introduced in Aug 19. If so, Capt Jones may have been an Army officer, and his signing of a leave pass for an RAF individual may mean he was serving in a joint HQ. Still looking ...

Acknown

Armitage's Service Record is on Fold 3 which I don't have. Here is the gatekeeper page on Ancestry: click here. Armitage's unit may indicate Jones's.

Edited by Acknown
More information

I think I've got him. Here is a part of the Army List 1919: https://deriv.nls.uk/dcn23/8803/88033318.23.pdf. Scroll down to Page 1336a and you'll find T/Capt Charles Jones. Northumberland Fusiliers. Commissioned from the ranks in 1915. Deputy Assistant Provost Marshal Military Mission to South Russia 18 Jul 19.

Acknown

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 19:33, Acknown said:

I think I've got him. Here is a part of the Army List 1919: https://deriv.nls.uk/dcn23/8803/88033318.23.pdf. Scroll down to Page 1336a and you'll find T/Capt Charles Jones. Northumberland Fusiliers. Commissioned from the ranks in 1915. Deputy Assistant Provost Marshal Military Mission to South Russia 18 Jul 19.

Acknown

So is Jones Army or att RAF?

Capt Jones was a British Army officer working in the Military Mission (MM) to South Russia in 1919. As Deputy Assistant Provost Marshall, he would have been working for a higher-ranked Provost Marshall (PM), probably in the MM HQ, who would have been head of the military police and in charge of discipline for the MM. Others will know more about the construct of this force, but the MM, and thus the PM's department, is likely to have been a bi- (Army/RAF) or tri- (plus RN) service group as would have been its HQ. Thus it is likely that Sgt Armitage was working for the PM and as a junior SO, Jones may have been responsible for the leave rota and signed Armitage's leave pass. The latter may have been a military policemen or clerk.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Very much appreciate your further input.

Have been away for several days and cannot further respond at this time but will provide more information on this topic in a day or so.

Rob

Pass issued to Flt Sgt Armitage RAF [47 Squadron] is likely to have been issued to all personnel attached to the British Military Mission, South Russia.

Document, measuring 6.25 ins x  4.5 ins (157 mm x 118 mm), is written in English & duplicated in Russian and contains the following:-

British Military Mission, South Russia.

Name.  Armitage, P

Rank.  Sgt

Unit.  RAF

is a member of the above-named Mission, and has permission to circulate in all places within the area occupied by the Troops of the Armed Forces of South Russia.

Signature  C Jones, Capt.

No. [blank]

Stamp.  British Military Mission, South Russia.

D. A. P. M., 18/11/19

No. 406