Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Balloon Flights in England

Red Gate

I wonder if anyone can give me any help regarding balloon flights in England in 1917/18.  I have been given access to a diary of a balloon pilot, Henry Truman.  Some  of the flights recorded in the diary were made in the day but most were undertaken at night mainly from London, Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham and seem to have been intended to report back on the extent of a blackout and the efficiency of searchlights in picking them up.  Most flights were clearly with a free balloon although some were from a static balloon. In one such flight he jumped out using the Spencer Parachute which he states to be the first parachute jump from a kite balloon in England.  He generally quotes a reference for the balloon used in each flight such as B19 or B26 or mentions a name, Banshee.  Does anyone have information on the type of balloons used, any  photos or any more information about this programme of work?  Thanks. 

Peter

A dairy for a pilot doing free-balloon flying in WWI would be fairly rare, I should think. Could make for a good article in the Cross & Cockade Journal of the First World War Aviation Historical Society?

Errol

17 hours ago, Red Gate said:

I wonder if anyone can give me any help regarding balloon flights in England in 1917/18.  I have been given access to a diary of a balloon pilot, Henry Truman.  Some  of the flights recorded in the diary were made in the day but most were undertaken at night mainly from London, Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham and seem to have been intended to report back on the extent of a blackout and the efficiency of searchlights in picking them up.  Most flights were clearly with a free balloon although some were from a static balloon. In one such flight he jumped out using the Spencer Parachute which he states to be the first parachute jump from a kite balloon in England.  He generally quotes a reference for the balloon used in each flight such as B19 or B26 or mentions a name, Banshee.  Does anyone have information on the type of balloons used, any  photos or any more information about this programme of work?  Thanks. 

Peter

Hopefully this may be of some help.  Banshee is mentioned on page 12 of the attached site.

http://reservesandcadetsni.org.uk/sitefiles/resources/pdfs/bravereportissue21rnasww1.pdf