Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Frederick Stock SLI

UKAIF

Pte Stock doesn't appear to have an MIC and his papers do not appear to have survived but the family have this picture of him seated on the RHS. He appears to have enlisted or been conscripted in mid-1916 and went to India (probably) at some stage of the Great War with the SLI presumably as a reinforcement to one of their TF battalions or with 1st Garrison Btn. Can any of the uniform experts here identify the uniforms,please? Is is khaki drill or another fabric/pattern? Despite his youthful appearance the soldier standing appears to have seen some service. I am aware of discussions on here about distortion of colours of medal ribbons but he seems to have the IGS and as Stock was demobbed in early 1919 it is too early for the other man to be wearing the 14 Star or 14/15 Star Trio - any thoughts, please?

SLI 006.JPG

SLI 006 - Copy.JPG

Mark - thanks for your note and interest in this query. He came from Weston Super Mare area. Someone has done the standard research bits for the family (MIC, papers etc) so this was a residual question arising when I looked at the photos of him a few days ago - the material looks like a lightweight cloth. He returned home after the war and was married in Malmesbury in the 1920s. The family do not have his medals or any other personal items other than several studio photos mostly dated August 1916 and all showing SLI insignia (and farrier trade badge).

Was he born 1896 0r 1898 and what were his parents names. There a few of them from W-S-M.Just trying to be sure I am looking for the right man.

Edited by Mark1959

Mark - have the details now:

Frederick Stock: born 21 February 1898
Parents: 
Edgar Stock
Edith Stock (formerly Howard)
Address:
1 North Lane
Meadow Street
Weston-Super-Mare

Thanks again for your interest in this soldier.

• Admin

There is a Frederick Stock on the Medal Rolls of the SLI.  He was posted to the 2/8th and 2/6th Notts and Derby Regt (Sherwood Foresters) and was allocated the number 307303 this number was allocated to the 8th Bn. in the renumbering of the TF from March 1917.

The SLI number on the Roll is 01020.

This man entered France after the renumbering  around March 1917. The 2/8th was disbanded in France in February 1918, and the 2/6th in July. (See LLT).

A Pte 307300 Jarvis died of wounds while serving with the 2/7 Sherwoods.  SDGW shows he enlisted in Weston Super Mare and was formerly 25472 SLI.  

The transfer to the Sherwoods appears to have been 10/11/1916 and posted to the 2/8th the following day. Where records survive it appears these men posted to the 2/8 went to France on 27th February 1917.  As you have observed they were either Derby Scheme attestations or conscripts called up in their Group or Class in early 1916.

The Pte Frederick Stock on the Medal Roll  re-enlisted in the SLI as noted thereon.  These men were paid a bounty and served for a limited period see 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/re-enlisting-into-the-army-in-1919/

I think it likely he served beyond 1920 and would eventually have had a seven digit number.  This means his records will probably be with the MoD Veterans Affairs and can be obtained for £30 

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records. So you need to ensure it is him!

He probably went to the 2nd Battalion who list casualties in the 01*** 5 digit series interred in war cemeteries in what was then Palestine in July 1920.

I’m not a uniform expert you might attract the experts if you add it to your title.  Don’t know if you can manipulate the shoulder title.

Ken

According to a baptism record I think his DoB was 10/1/1898. FMP has it wrongly transcribed as 10/2. But Feb is crossed out on the original. Seems a complete lack of WW1 papers on line

• Admin

A birthdate of January/February 1898 means he could enlist under the Group Scheme in a new Class, Class A.

Then as with the surviving records of this cohort he was posted on active service overseas to the BEF on attaining 19 years of age.

Ken

Kenf48 - thank you very much for the Notts and Derbys detail. Someone who was clearly quite well informed on Great War matters had already gone down this line for the family hence me limiting the enquiry to uniform and the other soldier's medal ribbons. Nevertheless I am grateful for that and particularly for mention of the Group Scheme timings. His shoulder title on this picture and all others of him certainly seem to be SLI.

Mark1959 - thank you for the baptism date correction - I will pass that back to the family and see what they have to say! Again, I am grateful for your contribution to this enquiry.