Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repair Shop alert WW1 items tonight

Gardenerbill

Wouldn't it have been better to try and restore the locket's original photographs with modern day technology? I thought they were really charming.

The cynic in me was wondering if those mascots were really that old?

On 10/09/2019 at 18:23, Gardenerbill said:

Tonight's Repair Shop includes 'Two first world war flying mascots', though I daresay they will be over restored.

The pilot's scarf on the dogs was a bit unnecessary in my opinion.

Who pays for the repairs on that show I wonder? Many of the restorations must take many days work and the intrinsic value simply couldn’t justify the sort of costs involved. I understand the value of heirlooms and suchlike but surely few people could justify the sort of expenditure that must be required. 

11 minutes ago, keithfazzani said:

Who pays for the repairs on that show I wonder? Many of the restorations must take many days work and the intrinsic value simply couldn’t justify the sort of costs involved. I understand the value of heirlooms and suchlike but surely few people could justify the sort of expenditure that must be required. 

I believe the production company pays. 

Edit. Ricochet Productions. - "We don’t charge for repairs. If people wish to make a donation to charity we’re very happy with that, but it’s by no means necessary".

Edited by GWF1967

PHi,

Ive applied to be on the show without success with an 1890s 'growler' dog (Google it).

The applications are made to a third party company, not Repair Shop, who decide who should and who should not appear on the show. They did not see fit to even acknowledge my application !!!!!  

Regards,

Graeme

I thought the mascots were sympathetically restored and agree that it was a shame the locket photos were changed, the original of the man was in uniform and so dated the locket to WW1, this link is now lost.

I found that quite moving. The pipes had not been played since the original owner died and they had been cobbled together from different instruments probably in the trenches. So to see them restored and played again was as I say quite moving. 

Edited by Gardenerbill

1 minute ago, Gardenerbill said:

I found that quite moving. The pipes had not been played since the original owner died and they had been cobbled together from different instruments probably in the trenches. So to see them restored and played again was as I say quite moving. 

Not a dry eye at Owls Towers either, but then the Repair Shop is compulsory watching. To hear them played again was moving as you say.

Pete.

It would have been nice to have saved the original tartan cover, perhaps patching it up over a new animal-skin bag, rather than the new synthetic one.

I absolutely detest the programme: soft focus mawkishness all round. I'd be intrigued to see the restorations after a year or so to see what they look like - probably like Challenge Anneka all those years ago, where all the stuff they built fell apart at the first rainfall.

On 18/09/2019 at 09:14, Steven Broomfield said:

I absolutely detest the programme: soft focus mawkishness all round. I'd be intrigued to see the restorations after a year or so to see what they look like - probably like Challenge Anneka all those years ago, where all the stuff they built fell apart at the first rainfall.

Sometimes, MR B, I think you have no soul, were your parents cold and distant?

5 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Sometimes, MR B, I think you have no soul, were your parents cold and distant?

I don't know. The view from the cupboard under the stairs was quite restricted.

On 19/09/2019 at 10:50, Steven Broomfield said:

I don't know. The view from the cupboard under the stairs was quite restricted.

Touché !!

Regards,

JMB

I watched this programme in the early days and found it interesting. As it goes on it becomes more and more “showbiz” and as you say the back stories are wearisome. Trouble is any good programme seems to follow a similar path which inevitably leads downhill. I have a feeling that the individual craftspersons are working to develop  their own personae which will no doubt feature in spin offs. Rather like gardening show “star” who has become an expert on every subject under the sun and appears ad nauseam.