Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th West yorkshire regiment

Neil Archer

Hi i am trying to track down the whereabouts of the 11th West Yorkshire Regiment part of the  69th Brigade (23rd Division) on or around the 1st July 1918. My Grandfather was awarded the MM under heavy gunfire and the telegram i have does not indicate the place of action. I believe the 69th Brigade was in Italy at the time. Grateful for any help in locating where the regiment was on this day.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Neil. If you can let the forum have his name I’m sure that will help.

Michelle 

• Admin

Hi Neil and welcome

The War Diary you need is at the National Archives in Kew but sadly hasn't yet been digitised so would probably need a visit https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557391

As Michelle has said any details you can give on the soldier will increase the chances of someone being able to help further.

David

Neil

There are several MMs awarded to 11 WYR soldiers in the 29 Nov 1918 London Gazette, these entries were usually posted 3 months or more after the event. These entries may have been for the battle on the Asiago Plateau between 15-16 June 1918, and which involved 23 Division among others.

A later battle at Vittoria Veneto occurred late October to early Nov 1918, though in between June and Oct the Division undertook some trench raids which may have attracted gallantry medals.

The LG is likely not to have a specific citation for each award, generally there is a list which is preceded by a catch-all such as Bravery in the Field.

A War Diary (Battalion or Division) may contain some details.

Wow what a great response from the Forum thank you so much. My Grandfathers name was Edward Thurlwell 13800, the citation says" on the night of the 1st/2nd July 1918, lance corporal Thurlwell showed the greatest courage and devotion to duty in repairing and maintaining forward telephone lines under heavy shellfire. it was laregelyby his efforts that on both occasions reports were quickly ......now unreadable.... and Battalion Headquarters

Awareded the Military Medal for the aboys.

The document i have is very delicate and worn in parts.

The battle of Asiago Plateau is close to the timeline and if Edward and the  West Yorkshire were still with the 23 Division, then we could be close to pinpointing his whereabouts on the 1st/ 2nd July.

I personally would like to visit this site if we can confirm where he was rewarded for his heroics .

• Admin

There is a two volume history of the regiment written by Everard Wyrall and Vol 2 covers Italy. This link is to the paperback version but it is also available on Kindle for a much lower price. Your soldier may not be named but it should give details of the actions of the Regiment at the time.

Many thanks David for your help, i aim to visit the War records in Chiswick and see if i can locate the day to day movements of the regiment, it was good to see his name in the Gazette.