Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TNA- The hundred year rule

Terry_Reeves

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

My aunt died 6 1/2 years ago but is still blacked out on the Ancestry 1939 register.

Craig

I have found a few people in the 1939 Register who are blacked out although I know they are dead. In at least source (ancestry or FMP) there is an explanation of how to have the redaction withdrawn.

RM

1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

I have found a few people in the 1939 Register who are blacked out although I know they are dead. In at least source (ancestry or FMP) there is an explanation of how to have the redaction withdrawn.

RM

I must say that I haven't actually looked in to having the record unlocked - I may do so.

Craig

11 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

RM

Both should explain the process - essentially an FOI request providing evidence that the person is no longer living so that the exemption falls away. FMP can do it directly (and have opted to make no charge for subscribers) as they run the official service, otherwise it's via The National Archives who then instruct FMP to open the record.

4 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

Both should explain the process - essentially an FOI request providing evidence that the person is no longer living so that the exemption falls away. FMP can do it directly (and have opted to make no charge for subscribers) as they run the official service, otherwise it's via The National Archives who then instruct FMP to open the record.

Thanks, David.

I had a vague idea that I had seen something relatively straightforward on FMP, but couldn't be sure I had remembered correctly.

RM

Edit: (corrected grammar!)

Edited by rolt968

Just now, rolt968 said:

Thanks, David.

I had a vague idea that I had seen something on relatively straightforward on FMP, but couldn't be sure I had remembered correctly.

RM

Ah, I don't the register on FMP (still on an old subs plan) only Ancestry so that's probably why I've not seen that option.

Craig

When my mum-in-law died in 2016 aged 95, her 1939 details were visible within a few months.

On the other hand, last year when looking up the family of a gentleman living near me I found his own 1939 details unredacted.  He wasn't bothered about it in the slightest.  

Clive

The way I understand it, to stop an entry being redacted you have to prove the death occurred (with a death certificate) and give the address the person lived at in 1939.

As it is my ancestors address I was trying to find out, just providing a death certificate (he died in 1970) did not help (and it was not a common name!).

aim

I think that was the case before the record was transferred to TNA, now however it should just be the death certificate that is required as stated here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/PaidSearch/FOI1939Register 

2 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

I think that was the case before the record was transferred to TNA, now however it should just be the death certificate that is required as stated here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/PaidSearch/FOI1939Register 

Hello, and thanks for the rapid reply.

I have just clicked on the web address you gave, and the form that came up still asks for the 1939 address (you have to go down the form a bit to see this).

aim

Sorry - you get a different version of the form when you access onsite.  The address field is marked as optional - it will help confirm it's the same person if there is doubt, but if as you say it's not a common name and the date of birth matches the death certificate I don't think that would be a problem, but it may be worth confirming this on the LiveChat service before committing to anything.