Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aeroplane fabric

albatrosdva

I see fairly regularly bits of painted fabric on ebay and other places purporting to be authentic pieces of WWI aeroplane fabric. What are things you all look for to recognize real from fake? Can we post original pieces on here (or has a similar post already been made that I didn't see?)?

This is discussed here after post 15.

Bear in mind that discussing individual ebay items' authenticity is a no no.

The consensus is that there are so many out there they should be treated with suspicion. 

Dave

As Dave has mentioned above - discussion of items is allowed within reason but please stay well clear of discussing any identifiable products or persons (i.e. no Ebay links, auction house links, naming individuals etc etc).

Craig

I read the link but it really just discusses there are a lot of fakes. I want an informational topic on how to tell a fake. It does me no good if I assume it is fake but have never seen an original. I assume there are originals within the collections of forum members. Let's see those originals 

• Admin
1 hour ago, albatrosdva said:

I read the link but it really just discusses there are a lot of fakes. I want an informational topic on how to tell a fake. It does me no good if I assume it is fake but have never seen an original. I assume there are originals within the collections of forum members. Let's see those originals 

Sam

You might try this alternative forum too http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/

Please do post any tips they may have as well for the benefit of the members if you can.

David

I suspect that images posted here of genuine and fake originals will not be of much help and one would have to examine the actual piece of fabric, probably under laboratory conditions.  There must have been variations in genuine fabric and the treatments applied.

(About 15 years ago, a postcard dealer was offering a card showing a pre-WWI crashed aeroplane on Salisbury Plain, with a piece of fabric about the size of a large coin attached, with the claim that it came from the actual aircraft. IIRC he was asking £30 at a time when the card on its own would have been priced at £20. I opted not to buy.)

Moonraker

Beware of FABRICation!

Errol