Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) experts, please

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) and other experts,

2nd Lieut. Percy Danford Aylward (born 1885), was Wounded in Action in late 1918.

Can any Great War Forum ally kindly beam me the relevant Hampshire Regimental Journal (Nov 1918), listing the casualty of 2Lt Aylward, please?

Or - even better! - does a 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) officer group photo exist, which included P. D. Aylward…?

A Goodie is offered for one of the above; two Goodies for two of them - from my Great War bookshelves.

Kindest regards,

Kim.20690947_MedalIndexCard2LtP.D.Aylward.jpg.503634cf7aa99d7db18f9133e9db3ca4.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear helpjpl,

Super! Many thanks for that.

Capt Reynolds was unlucky, so near to the end of the War.

The Background to the action whereby 2Lt P. D. Aylward was wounded, is particularly graphic.

By all means send me a PM with your Name and address for the Goodie!

Kindest regards,

Kim.1444317688_BWMLieut.P.D.Aylward.jpg.0013efd1f8b569a09fd2732f48581a1f.jpg1148535532_VictoryMedalLieut.P.D.Aylward..jpg.b151b8a70bd667120b159f13ff1cc187.jpg1547421673_Lieut.P.D.AylwardObv.jpg.87e3f712f05d9f202f2429d47d243323.jpg 

Dear All,

2Lt P. D. Aylward is listed above in the 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battalion War Diary, as being one of 8 Officers wounded in early October 1918.

It is not without interest to note that the wounded CO, Lt-Col Alec Walter Puttick (whose MC was Gazetted on 4 June 1917), had originally joined the R. W. Kent R., having been a Lt., Bombay Volunteer Rifles! He was CO 15th Hampshires from 19 Sep to 11 Nov 1918.

The Adjutant (wounded with Col. Puttick) was T/Capt Sydney Harold Wigmore, who had the MC (Gazetted 19 Nov 1917) and Bar (Gazetted 16 Sep 1918). 

Another of the wounded, T/Capt Francis John Whaley, Hamps. R., had the MC (Gazetted as a 2nd Lt., 25 Aug 1917): '...he pushed forward with a few men through our own barrage in pursuit of some of the enemy who were trying to escape, and captured a number of them...'

2Lt G. J. Potter, MC, juxtaposed with 2Lts J. E. Walker, P. D. Aylward, and V. Kick (?), was Guy Jennings Potter, Hampshire R. T/2nd Lt. Potter's MC (Gazetted 7 Nov 1918) had a remarkable Citation: ':-

... When all the other officers had become casualties he took command of the company and led it forward, and captured the objective, though slightly wounded himself on two occasions. He attacked an enemy strong point with only seven men, and accounted for the garrison of fifty, who were all killed or taken prisoners...'

The gallant Potter, still a T/2nd Lt., MC, 15th Bn., Hamp. R., won a Bar to his MC (London Gazette, 2 Dec 1918), possibly when 2Lt Aylward was wounded:

'...When an attack was partially held up by intense machine-gun fire and nearly all of the officers were casualties, he took command of the entire line and rallied the remaining men. Until relieved, some forty-eight Hours later, he remained in command of the party and instilled great confidence by his cheerfulness and courage.'

Images of G. J. Potter, F. J. Whaley, and indeed any of the others, would be of high interest...

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Dear All,

Any Connections to the Hampshire Regimental Association (or similar)…?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

A bio of Francis John Whaley here:

http://www.belmontschool-hassocks.org.uk/Docs/FrancisWhaley.pdf

Whaley attended Eastbourne College 1910-1915 and is listed in their Roll of Service, page 74:

https://www.eastbourne-college.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/esorg-roll-of-honour-2018-08-15.pdf

The Eastbournian Society may have a photo:

https://eastbourniansociety.org/college-history

JP

Edited by helpjpl
to add link

Dear JP,

Many thanks; highly interesting.

I never cease to be impressed at the calibre of Great War subalterns. F. J. Whaley is a good example (not to metion my Percy Aylward!)...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

G J Potter is Guy Jennings Potter ex Coldstream Guards 11934. Birth Reg in Dunmow, Essex 1Q 1894 says Guy Jenneus. One family tree gives a DoB of 5/12/1893. He was buried on 2/12/25 and seems to have died 27/11/25 aged just 31.

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for that.

What a melancholy end to the gallant Guy Jennings/Jenneus Potter, MC and Bar.

I have meanwhile found a Family Connection for Percy D. Aylward, which will hopefully come to something!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

10 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

G J Potter is Guy Jennings Potter ex Coldstream Guards 11934. Birth Reg in Dunmow, Essex 1Q 1894 says Guy Jenneus. One family tree gives a DoB of 5/12/1893. He was buried on 2/12/25 and seems to have died 27/11/25 aged just 31.

1.  Guy Jennings Potter died at Whipps Cross Hospital and was buried at Queens Road Cemetery, Waltham Forest - also known as Walthamstow Cemetery:

Potter.jpg.fd801c45e400690a1f01f69d4fc09127.jpg

84187485_Potter1.jpg.e5c355321bc430eea8fa6695098fa889.jpg

The Waltham Forest Family History Society site doesn't have a record of a headstone/ inscription. Sadly, the cemetery is in a poor state:

http://records.wffhs.org.uk/mis.php 

2.  He married Nellie Irene Phipps in 1919 and, according to a family tree on ancestry, had 4 children - the youngest born on 19 July 1925.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Dear JP,

Fascinating!

The gallant and several-times wounded Guy Potter - MCs and Bar were few and far between - married directly following the Great War.

As if he knew that his days were numbered, he fathered four children by the admirable Nellie Potter, nee Phipps. She in turn was obliged to shoulder early widowhood, coupled with the care of very small children: all concerned having been delayed casualties of the Great War.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

The attached clippings record the bowing-out of erstwhile Great War 15th 1870666863_PercystooddownasTownClerk1937.jpg.c982ceeb5d8587fda52e2e5938c339ad.jpg2112130455_PercydiedinHospitalSalisburyJournal3Jul1970.jpg.14f324679f6693f5ae1205ebf72ecabc.jpgHampshires subaltern Percy D. Aylward from Job (1937) and Life (1970).

Despite having lived his Life in Wilton, and having been the longest-serving solicitor in near-by Salisbury, no Image of him has been found! But: fellow GWF members,

what about the Hampshire Regiment?

Does anyone have inroads into their Officer Group photos and some-such? A Goodie awaits that talented ferret, who finds a picture of 2/Lt P. D. Aylward. Please!

Kindes regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Whitehead Vizard (previously Whitehead Vizard Venn & Lush) are still going. As a long shot, might it be worth contacting them to see if they might have a photo/portrait in their archives? Link

Regards

Chris

On 10/09/2019 at 08:29, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Any Connections to the Hampshire Regimental Association (or similar)…?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PM me what it is you want and I will try and remember to look it up next time I'm in the archives (probably late next week or sometime the week after)

Dear Chris and Steven,

Many thanks to you both.

I have 1) beamed a Personal Message, and 2) have immediately written to Whitehead Vizard!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Interestingly, vis-a-vis the wounding in action of 2/Lt. Percy D. Alyward on 2 October 1918 in Flanders, DNW sold at the 25 Sep 2019 auction, the MC and Pair to Hampshire Regiment (late Hamps Yeo) 2/Lt. Harold Frederick Wheeler.

The action was for 'gallantry in attacking an enemy Machine Gun post ', and took place at Queene au Loup, October 1918...

The Wheeler Military Cross was suitably engraved ('Lt. H. F. Wheeler' etc.), but inexplicably his BWM and Victory were impressed 10055 SGT. H. WHEELER, HAMPS. YEO.

Still no sign of that elusive photograph of Percy Denholm Aylward, 1885-1970. A Goodie from my bookshelves is offered as a Reward!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Fellow Great War Aficionados,

Percy Denholm AYLWARD (1885-1970): I have ordered his Death Certificate and Will, and am awaiting These...

Surely a Person with such a public presence must have left behind a Photograph or two? (Goodie for a Finder!) Perhaps I could advertise in a Salisbury or other newspaper (a virtual obituary was provided in the Salisbur Journal): any ideas?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Have you tried Wilton Town Council yet? Link

Regards

Chris

Edit:

As well as using the general contact page, I wonder if given his interests an email to Lee Glyde (cllr.glyde@wiltontowncouncil.gov.uk) would be worthwhile. 

image.png.2025d19b5e438996471998918cbd93ac.png

Image sourced from Wilton Town Council website

Edited by clk

Dear Chris,

Yes, tried them. Chris has apparently retired (I wrote to him, firstly).

In ca. 1974 the Wilton Council System was reorganised and the old records sent to a repository (name escapes me). The latter replied that they had no Portrait of Percy. For 34 Pounds, they scoured the Salisbury Journal and found the above obituary-like death notice but no Image.

Meanwhile, I am on tenderhooks awaiting a response from the on-going Solicitor Chambers in Salisbury - he was, after all, a long-time Partner...

Thanks for your continuing interest; it is always good to have a shoulder to weep upon!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

7 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

In ca. 1974 the Wilton Council System was reorganised

As far as I'm aware, pre that local government reorganisation (under 1972 legislation) there were two levels of councils in southern Wiltshire, the relevant ones here being Salisbury City Council, Wilton Town Council (aka 'parish' councils), and a Salisbury & Wilton Rural District Council (a RDC). The City/Town Councils had different responsibilities to those of the RDC. My understanding is that the legislation only effected the RDC, causing it to be merged with a couple of other local RDCs to form the new Salisbury District Council (SDC). In 2009 SDC ceased to exist as it was merged with the other District Councils in Wiltshire and the then Wiltshire County Council to form a new 'unitary authority' - known as 'Wiltshire Council'. Perhaps a mute point but as Wilton Town Council weren't effected by the reforms in the 1974 and 2009, I would have thought that they would have retained control of their records. Quite what they have done with them, is probably a different matter.

As well as the (still published) Salisbury Journal, there was also a Salisbury Times (ceased publication - maybe 20+ years ago??).

As you say as a high profile local Wilton man, it would seem a bit difficult to accept that Percy has effectively just disappeared. I appreciate that Lee Glyde is only a relatively new 'member' (i.e. councillor) of the Town Council, but given that he is a former Combat Medic, and a current Standard Bearer for the RBL, I thought that he would probably go the extra yard to try to help you.

Good luck.

Regards

Chris

Dear Chris,

I received481430324_SelfWeekendofMedalsNov2011small.jpg.c85398440c82e9ace85a0481216cebd0.jpg this:- Hi Kim, Very sadly, I cannot find an image of Percy here.  Wilton Council was reorganised in 1974, when the old Borough Council was dissolved and replaced by the current Town Council.  I believe the old records were then passed to the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre now in Chippenham.  You might be able to contact them to find out what they hold -  

I have found Percy's signature in our cemeteries register, but alas no photo.  I also searched the Internet, but apart from a photo of his medals, I found no trace.

Very sorry that I cannot help - I did have a good search. Very best, Steve Milton, Town Clerk, Wilton Town Council. 

Thereupon the kind Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre Lady replied in an eMail of 10-9-2019, that Steve (a knowledgeable colleague) retired at Easter.  However,  that the unindexed Salisbury Journal could be searched at 34 Pounds per hour.  I agreed to paying that, and the result were the above clippings - one being a virtual obituary.

As you suggested, the now defunct Salisbury Times might be worth searching - although I am unsure as to best go About that.

I agree wholeheartedly that, as a high profile local Wilton man, it would seem a bit difficult to accept that Percy has effectively just disappeared (!).

Indeed, I will certainly approach Councillor Lee Glyde for council, without stepping on Steve Miltons toes, of course.

All I want to do is to put Percy Aylward on the map, for posterity...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

My letter, adressed to the Family Anthony Case Aylward (late Solicitor of Salisbury, was returned 'Resident Deceased'.

This has put me back to square one.

Perhaps a GWF friend could advise me what my next step might been, to find an Image of P. C. Aylward..?

A Goodie awaits whoever finds 

Kindest regards,

Kim.