Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What information does a War Widows pension record contain?

KernelPanic

With the help of some very good people on this forum I’ve been able to piece together part of my great grandfather’s service as an ASC Horse Transport Driver in the 50thDivision, even though his service record doesn’t exist. 

We know he enlisted in November 1914 and that he was in Flanders from April 1915 through January 1916 when he was invalided back to England with nephritis. But we don’t know what happened to him between March 1916 when he was released from hospital in England until February 1917 when he was by a given C1 status by a Travelling Medical Board.

I’m wondering whether his wife’s war widows pension record (if it exists) might have something useful in it?

Even though he died from nephritis 20 years after the war ended his kidney ailment was deemed to have been caused by his service, and so she was awarded the pension. I’ve attached a form we have that has her case number on it. I understand that I could contact the Dept in Norcross to ask for more information from her file.

But before I do that, has anybody seen the file details for one of these pensions? Is there anything there that might be useful?

Thanks.

War Pension.jpg

Edited by KernelPanic

I just came across this thread on the topic. I've also read that additional relevant pension info might be released by the WFA later as part of their tremendous efforts. But I'm still not clear whether anything of my great grandmothers widow's pension record might have survived, where it might be, or whether it might contain anything useful  Anyway, my apologies if the answers to my question are already out there.

Edited by KernelPanic

Most of these records, if they survive in a government department will be subject to the 100 year rule and are unlikely to be available in published form. A direct approach to the DWP IF they follow a process similar to that used for post  great War service records would probably require evidence of death and direct descent, but it is also quite likely that many records were pulped or burned in the 60's or 70's.  

The Pension Record cards will hopefully list the entitlement to a pension, addresses, and possibly a date when the pension ceased to be paid. I'm not sure how much more you are likely to find. here's a link to the latest info from the WFA.https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/pension-record-cards-claims-for-soldiers-who-were-killed/

One that I researched was sadly lacking in detail, beyond recording the date when a dependents pension ceased to be paid upon the death of the recipient in 1939.

I would doubt that any of the records remain in a government department but you may be lucky (allowing for any 100yr rules). When I worked in dealing with state pensions in the early 2000's there was a very big drive to get rid of old paperwork (some essential paperwork from the period of 1948-1980 ish, still in use, was being scrapped ! ) and keep only the bits that were deemed to be essential (and that was essential to the bigwigs, not those on the shop floor...).  DWP were also very big on clearing out files of correspondence etc - they were sent for filing at Norcross and I believe destroyed after a decade or so of non-use.

Craig

Many thanks Keith and Craig.

I did think my great grandmother's war widows pension papers might be a long shot, but thought it worth asking. We know when her pension started and when it ceased—she died in the mid 70s. From what you say, even if there is anything surviving, it's probably not going to add anything to what we already know about my great grandfather's service. 

Three of his pension record cards are already available on Fold3, and we are also very lucky to have a virtually complete record of his medical board exams from 1917 to 1924. Although he was definitely still in the ASC between March 1916 and February 1917, and was awarded a Silver War Badge when he was transferred to Class P Reserve in June 1917, none of what we have gives any hint of whether he returned to France/Belgium in 1916 or stayed in England. 

I might have one more roll of the dice to see if the change in his service number in 1916 might reveal anything, but that's for another thread.