Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LIVERPOOL RECORDS OFFICE 55th Div Medal Recommendations

Sepoy

I would be most grateful if any users of the Liverpool Records Office, or the Museum of Liverpool, could help.

It is my understanding that original Gallantry award recommendations, forwarded by Major General Jeudwine, 55th Division, have survived and are held at the Liverpool Records Office, under reference 356/6.

I am most interested in acquiring a copy/photograph, or simply the details, of the recommendation for a Military Medal awarded to 200992 (formerly 3149) Corporal George Henry Griffiths, 1/5th Battalion, Liverpool Regiment. From a Divisional Gallantry Card, signed by Major General Jeudwine on 21st August, 1917, George's name had been brought to his attention for gallant conduct at Wieltje, Ypres on 31st July, 1917. The MM appeared in the London Gazette of 18th October, 1917.

In addition, help with the entry in the King's Liverpool Regiment database, held at the Museum of Liverpool, for George Griffiths and 355133 (formerly 2339) Bugler George Kitson, Liverpool Scottish would also be very gratefully received.

Regretfully, due to disabilities and my current family situation, it is most unlikely that I will be able to visit Liverpool in the foreseeable future.

Please accept my sincere thanks.

Sepoy

NB Please do not hesitate to send me a PM, rather than directly responding to this post, if concerned about other requests.

Edited by Sepoy

Sepoy,

The recommendation files are incomplete, sadly.

I have a complete index of those which are/were in the record office over ten years ago.

George Henry Griffiths' details are not amongst those preserved within the Jeudwine Papers.

Ken

On 09/09/2019 at 02:07, Sepoy said:

Ken

Thank you for checking - I was not aware that the recommendation files were incomplete.

Best regards

Sepoy

Sadly, only a small proportion of the 55th Div recommendations have survived, but that's better than nothing.

• spof changed the title to LIVERPOOL RECORDS OFFICE 55th Div Medal Recommendations