Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CPL FRANCIS TULITT

Acknown

I researching this NCO and have amassed the following information: 

Cpl Francis A Ernest Tulitt  - 923 and 966226. It seems he was in A Bty CCCIII (303rd) Brigade, RFA (60th Division) in Jun 16 as a Cpl (leave pass). He has a VM and BWM but no Star, so not overseas until 1916. Given his early number, I suspect he was a Territorial. He certainly served in Palestine and there are indications he was in France at some stage near Mont St. Eloi. I presume he was in Salonica, but have no evidence.

Here are some questions for those more endowed with wisdom than I:

• What was his enlistment date? 
  • Was he a Territorial? With what unit?
  • Does the France location tie in with the 60th's brief visit to France in Jun 16?
  • Is the 303rd Brigade RFA WD online?
  • Any other business?

Many thanks.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Looking at some other service papers, I would't be surprised if he;

Left Southampton 21 or 22 June - arrived Havre 23/6/1916.

Issued 966266 number 12/2/1917

Embarked Marseille 4/12/1917 - arrived Salonika 12/12/1917

Thanks IPT. LLT says 'Division concentrated in XVII Corps area.' which ties in with a handwritten annotation on a map that I have.

More questions for any gunner experts:

• Did the 303rd remain with the division throughout Palestine?
  • What guns did they have?

Thanks.

Acknown

Don't know if this is of interest, but he seems to be mentioned in this article about the death of his father in 1929.

From The British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20190909-214103.jpg

Edit...if it is the right chap, his brother Victor was sent home from France after being kicked by a horse.

Edited by sadbrewer

Certainly of interest, Sadbrewer and many thanks. This was indeed his father; a distinguished sailor. Wednesday 25 September 1929, Portsmouth Evening News, I see.

Acknown

• 2 weeks later...

Any gunner experts out there? Not a lot on 303 Brigade RFA, but:

• I suspect that the brigade comprised four batteries, each having four obsolescent 15-pounder field guns, but I can’t be sure. Correct?
  • Is the 303rd Brigade RFA WD online?

Thank you.

Acknown

The brigade seems to make its first diary appearance in CRA 60 Div diary Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/3/1, 3/2 and 3/3 Wessex batteries and interactive/60779/43849_3026_6-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43849_3026_6-00094 on May 17/18 when it was formed (4 batteries) out of 3/1, 3/2 and 3/3 Wessex Batteries and 4/60th How Battery with a Bde HQ from the former 2/8th London Bde.

A back track from there should show the guns.

The CRA diary goes up to Nov 1916 when the brigades left First Army for Fourth Army.

The National Archives site won't play for me today so I can't cross check later diaries.

Max

Max,

Great. Many thanks. I've been crawling through the Div HW WD in search of artillery fire plans.

Acknown

Max - Thanks again. I''m reading the WD. Several tranches of 18 pounders were received by the brigade in May. I assume all the 303 Bde batteries were so equipped. As my man was from Southampton, I assume he was in one of the four gun batteries, having served in the TA with that (renamed) battery beforehand. I don't know which battery he was in (yet!). The brigade entrained at Codford on 21 Jun and detrained at St. Pol and Petit Houvin on 24 Jun. It seems that the How Bty was equipped with 4.5" guns.

Acknown

On 09/09/2019 at 21:43, sadbrewer said:

Edit...if it is the right chap, his brother Victor was sent home from France after being kicked by a horse.

Sadbrewer - Where did you get that?

Acknown