Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nagant Bayonet in British service ?

Ypres1915

Hi guys,

I found this bayonet at an antiques show in Canada. I'm not sure why I picked it up but after looking at the markings it intrigued me. It appears to be of US manufacture. It has a small circle that appears to have an R in it. A quick search seems to point toward a Remington made example. The other item that is curious is that it seems to have a Broad Arrow stamped into it as well. I thought this could be the Westinghouse mark for this type of bayonet, but to me it looks more like a Broad Arrow? The question I have is, would it be plausible this bayonet was used in Northern Russia by British or Canadian units.. Any insight would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Ypres

IMG_20190907_130849037.jpg

IMG_20190907_130906216.jpg

IMG_20190907_130842441.jpg

Edited by Ypres1915

Hi Ypres 1915,

An interesting bayonet; congratulations on acquiring it.

The answer to your question is, I think, yes.  Have a look through the attached website.  I haven't had the time to go right through it but if you click on United States you should at least find a good starting point for your research.

Regards,

Michael.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant

Is that an M1891 or an M1891/30? It appears to have a push button release? (it's obscured by the shadow) but if so it is the WWII version

I think that might be an Sestrojevsk (arrow in a triangle) mark rather than a broad arrow there are several versions of this mark.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Its M91/30 also WW2 piece, Izhewsk production. b.r.Andy

I know nothing about these Bayonets, so what is the basis for your strong statement?

Regard,

JMB

The form of triangle speaks for late 30ies, i dont known the serial is there from beginn or later, so it could be prewar piece 1938-40 too, anyway post 1932/3 as prior this time was produced the first type with muzzle cover sometimes declared as Panchin. For nomenclature the bayonet is not Nagant, as the bayonet was developed by Russians, its called Mosin 91/30, .  b.r.Andy

Edited by AndyBsk

Andy,

Thanks for the extra details, they all help me to learn about European Bayonets.

Regards,

JMB

• 7 months later...

Two interesting quotes from the late TonyE (A.O. Edwards) on two threads about Remington Mosin Nagants in use with the British.

On 05/01/2010 at 22:31, TonyE said:

As a matter of interest, US made Moisins that had been paid for with British credits were stored in the UK after the Russian revolution and issued to British troops in the North Russia Intervention Force.

On 14/07/2010 at 12:48, TonyE said:

In the middle of 1918 the British War Office asked that 30,000 M-ns were taken from store cleaned and inspected "for a special purpose". This was later increased to 140,000 rifles and the special purpose turned out to be arming the British expeditionary force to North Russia.

The US owned rifles stored in the UK were not allowed to leave the country.

Reference: Official History of the Ministry of Munitions, Volume XI, Part IV Rifles, p.39

It is unclear from the records exactly how many M-Ns were made to British order before the contracts were cancelled, but it was obviously at least 140,000.

On 08/10/2019 at 00:32, JMB1943 said:

I know nothing about these Bayonets, so what is the basis for your strong statement?

Regard,

JMB

Best clue is the spring attachment with the push-button. WW1 examples were all socket-versions.

Hope all is well with you and yours over there with the 100,000 mark having been passed... Political comments not allowed on GWF, as you know, but...