Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

With the Cornwall Territorials on the Western Front

Black Maria

I don't normally buy unit histories but I do like interesting dust jackets so a few months ago I purchased a copy of this book on e-bay . It was quite cheap , only about

£30 , but when i looked through it i noticed that the plate showing the badge of the D.C.L.I was missing . I was a bit disappointed as this had not been mentioned in

the sellers description . I assumed that a previous owner with a connection to the regiment had probably removed it for framing , to hang on their wall .

Then looking on Tom Donovan's book site i noticed he had a copy for sale and mentioned that the plate of the D.C.L.I badge was  " invariably absent " , so i assumed

my hunch must be right about people removing it to be framed . I did notice however , that all the original copies that were being sold at the time on ABE didn't mention

the plate being missing . In Tom's latest catalogue he has a jacketed copy for sale ( £145 ) and adds that the plate of the badge was " never placed in any copy " , so i

was just wondering if anyone has actually got an original copy with the plate present ?

cornwall territorials.jpeg

No sign of it in my copy and no stub where it might have been cut out. Maybe they decided not to bother as its on the cloth cover anyway.

13 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

No sign of it in my copy and no stub where it might have been cut out. Maybe they decided not to bother as its on the cloth cover anyway.

That's a possibility Alan , thanks for looking .

1 hour ago, Resurgam13 said:

Not in my copy either.

Looks like Tom could well be right and it was never included . It's a bit bad though, that of the four copies for sale on-line * , only one seller mentions it's missing .

* ( not including T.Ds )

Edited by Black Maria

Very few sellers (private or business) seem to collate books these days. I've lost count of the number of books I've bought years ago and then finally got round to reading only to discover missing maps or illustrations, when it was too late to go back to the seller.

Very true , I only started checking the books I buy when I discovered a whole page of text missing from one I had just purchased . I don't usually bother

with new books but one recent purchase had several pages where it looked like oil had spilled on it during the printing process , it looked perfect from

the outside and I only noticed because I started reading it straight away .

Another book with a frequently missing plate {s} is the history of the Welsh Guards plates of their colours etc seem to go for a walk on a regular basis the fact my copy has these present was the deciding factor in making the purchase missing maps are a definite  no no  

7 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

Another book with a frequently missing plate {s} is the history of the Welsh Guards plates of their colours etc seem to go for a walk on a regular basis the fact my copy has these present was the deciding factor in making the purchase missing maps are a definite  no no  

The problem with rare books sometimes is that even if the seller lists how many plates and maps a book has , there are no other copies available to check with

before you buy . With my spare or unwanted books that I infrequently sell on Amazon I always put  'as called for ' after I list the number of plates / maps .