Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artificer Engineer Lumley Robinson, H.M.S. ABOUKIR

Malcolm12hl

I have been unable to find the warrant officer's service record for Artificer Engineer Lumley Robinson, who survived the sinking of H.M.S. ABOUKIR on 22 September 1914.  I have found his record as an ERA rating (Chatham 270462) which covers his service from enlistment in 1901 to promotion to the officers' section in 1909, but cannot find the record of his service as a warrant officer by searching ADM 196 online.  I would be grateful for any help in tracking this down.

Not the record you are looking for but some snippets from The Navy List, [http://www.navylistresearch.co.uk/usa_archives.html] which show him as

Artificer Engineer from 1 NOV 1909

Engineer Lieutenant from 23 AUG 1917

[he served on HMS Tyne from 15 JAN 1919]

Fascinating that he invented something which we all may have used at one time or another and that his company is still going today

Thank you Michael, a very interesting man indeed.  I am not finding much trace of him on a general Ancestry search, save residence in Gillingham in 1911 and a Methodist baptism for one of his children, which is odd considering his distinctive first name.  The search goes on!

Malcolm

He served on HMS Ark Royal   17/10/14 -1917

HMS Skirmisher 1917-18

HMS Vernon 1918

Info from  Navy lists

I don't think their are papers  surviving for Artificer  Engineers

Ray

I have never had any luck with early Artificer Engineers at Kew. ADM 196/134-136 have some records but they do not seem to start until warrants issued in 1911. I have no idea where the earlier records have been hidden (if they have survived). There is no clue in the online TNA advice. ADM 196 and ADM 340 have nothing on him as I am sure you have also discovered. Frustrating!

Thank you both gentlemen.  If I ever do come across anything, Horatio, I will let you know.  We should, I suppose, count ourselves lucky that Naval personnel records are as complete as they are - anyone who strays into Merchant Navy records will know that things could be a lot worse!