Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Matlock1418

New W.F.A. membership cards - Cardless or paper card, NOT plastic, please

Gareth Davies
12 minutes ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

Good lord! I see no need for that sort of response from any association. Very disappointing.

Bernard

In the defence of the messenger, he had been told something entirely untrue by another member of the WFA hierarchy. 

Matlock1418
9 minutes ago, Bernard_Lewis said:
7 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

'...empires come and empires go'

...and days end.

To lighten things up a little: the old Empire cinema in Neath was converted into a bingo hall. When it caught fire some years later, my bus driver told me - deadpan - that it meant that 1,000 Neath ladies had been made homeless...

So far as the ladies of Neath goes - a welcome bit of light humour  :-) - but not too much please.

Bernard - what is your opinon on plastic cards?  [if a WFA mwember - but any other wider polite opinion on this subject also most welcome - e.g if only a GWF pal]

:-)

Matlock1418
8 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:
22 minutes ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

Good lord! I see no need for that sort of response from any association. Very disappointing.

Bernard

In the defence of the messenger, he had been told something entirely untrue by another member of the WFA hierarchy. 

OK - back to my self-appointed role as moderator - as OP

Bernard - naturally a generally applicable thought for all but ... as a potentially contentious subject best left alone on this thread please.

Gareth - thanks for your bit of explanation - but of course from only your side, and which seems to me to cut a bit in many ways to be honest, and of course the other parties haven't responded- and it probably would NOT be right for them to do so now in this thread.

Let's ALL [including all potential new posts] please drop this particualr sub-topic and keep on track with the main topic = plastic cards, or not?

Thanks.

Bernard_Lewis

I have had a WFA membership card since around 2003. Never had cause to use it in any meaningful way. But I don't attend meetings (50 miles away.)

Bernard

The Scorer

I have been asked to choose a design for my new card, and I've done so.

Like a lot of people, I've never shown my old membership card, which was card, which I laminated, but if I needed to, I would. I don't have any strong views on this, as I know that I try to recycle as much paper, card, plastic etc. as I can, so to be honest, it's a storm in a teacup for me. I appreciate that some people feel strongly about it, but I don't.

Chef_Hendrix
6 hours ago, The Scorer said:

Like a lot of people, I've never shown my old membership card, which was card, which I laminated, but if I needed to, I would. I don't have any strong views on this, as I know that I try to recycle as much paper, card, plastic etc. as I can, so to be honest, it's a storm in a teacup for me. I appreciate that some people feel strongly about it, but I don't.

Same here, although i'm stuck between "Up the Line" and "Working Party"

fellop

I went for Working Party.

Regards

Peter

Matlock1418
28 minutes ago, Chef_Hendrix said:

i'm stuck between "Up the Line" and "Working Party"

Surely - "Remembering"

10 minutes ago, fellop said:

I went for Working Party.

Could have been same in paper card or cardless - but I know the options weren't given - perhaps it could still be ???

As I commented to another - Are you planning to take your card to your grave as an aid to a future archeologist? 

Or perhaps get a paper card one and get anonymously composted like me?  ;-)

Edited by Matlock1418

Chef_Hendrix
5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Surely - "Remembering"

Could have been same in paper card or cardless - but I know the options weren't given - perhaps it could still be ???

As I commented to another - Are you planning to take your card to your grave as an aid to a future archeologist? 

Or perhaps get a paper card one and get anonymously composted like me?  ;-)

"Remembering" was a close 3rd!

The Scorer

I chose "Remembering". 

RaySearching

Quote Are you planning to take your card to your grave as an aid to a future archeologist? 

Now that is a good idea I shall instruct the executor of my estate to have the card placed in my coffin and buried with me

along with my debit card in case I need to spend a penny on the other side

Who knows the cards could well be collector pieces in a hundred years time,  a full set fetching premium prices

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

Matlock1418
26 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I chose "Remembering".

Seems the most appropriate sentiment

If I really must have one [do I really need one?] - I want mine in paper card, for now anyway.

Younger members might even go for cardless on their smart phone! [I don't have one!] - might even be a USP for younger recruitment

Heaven knows I think we need an infuson/transfusion of younger blood into our membership

All I want for all is a a range of more ecologically-defensible options - and not just designs

Hey ho! ... On we go.

Edited by Matlock1418
sorting out tangled fingers - again!

Matlock1418
23 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Now that is a good idea I shall instruct the executor of my estate to have the card placed in my coffin and buried with me

along with my debit card in case I need to spend a penny on the other side

Who knows the cards could well be collector pieces in a hundred years time,  a full set fetching premium prices

So long as it is not incinerated in a crem without proper scrubbers [environmental ones I mean]

Know what you mean about spending your cash, even now - don't think it will be a penny then though

Mine's not a debit card - it's a debt card, without any credit left

23 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Nor the rest and/or full sets floating around adrift as a new landmass in/on one of our oceans - nor as a new mountain/mountain range

Probably quite rare given our aging and small membership [now don't use that against me - I'm working on the principle of reduction of plastic for trivial applications] - I'm pushing for expansion of membership, but not in plastic.

Still pursuing my aspiration - plasticless or even cardless

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Matlock1418

To all GWF pals - I apologise to those who saw the hidden post before it was hidden - it was a bit, but not wholly. off topic - and especially to any that were upset by it.

I knew it was a bit edgy [in a light-hearted way] but it was polite and I wanted to keep such a discussion thread alive/top of the agenda in that Forum.

Many other threads have a bit of light-hearted content after all.

I do think WFA and its cards is relevant for GWF and the current Forum [Other GW Chat and not Skindles] - What else but the GW is WFA for after all?

I can't understand why there is so much opposition to this this thread polling opinion - it is but one thread amongst thousands on the GWF and is open to all opinions = this way, that way or the other way.

Pals don't have to look at it if they don't want to.

But I won't try a 'stunt' like that again.

I still encourage open and free on-topic comment on WFA plastic cards, or not, please.

Matlock

ss002d6252

I have given fair warning that it is being locked and allowed a little courtesy time for anyone to make their final, on-topic comments, so it is time to close this now as a moderator decision.

Craig