Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Matlock1418

New W.F.A. membership cards - Cardless or paper card, NOT plastic, please

Ian C

I stand corrected, what was it,  1/2/3 out of a membership of over 6000 and then not those that had been most vociferous in their condemnation of the committee. 

Gareth Davies

Those who had been vociferous have offered many times to help.

daggers

May I suggest that this long thread is off topic, not WW1 related?

D

Gareth Davies

Suggest away. But I can’t see how anything to do with the WFA is off topic.

RaySearching
Just now, daggers said:

May I suggest that this long thread is off topic, not WW1 related?

D

The voice of reason  

I agree  

Ray

Don Regiano
2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

You've lost me there!

I was referring to the very long (and sometimes contentious) thread about the sale of the Butte de Warlencourt by the WFA during which GD received a lot of personal criticism.

RaySearching
Just now, Gareth Davies said:

Suggest away. But I can’t see how anything to do with the WFA is off topic.

When it degenerates into as a general W F A  bashing thread

then methinks it should be closed

Gareth Davies

You can think what you want of course. I’m not a WFA brasher, I’m part of the working group trying to help sort out the mess. What are you all doing.?

Matlock1418
49 minutes ago, Ian C said:

That'll be the members, who after the all the fuss made about the 'Butte' not one was prepared to step forward for the committee!

Have you asked your banks the same question?

A] I wasn't a member then

B]Yes I have - and to other organisations too.

WFA cards do not have to be durable for centuries

51 minutes ago, Ian C said:

Personally, I like the new cards and will be ordering mine.

That's your right - but it doesn't necessarily make it right.

DavidOwen

Please keep this discussion to the subject of the cards.

The thread has been moved to Skindles as it is discussing a current issue and will be monitored closely.

Hyacinth1326

'...empires come and empires go'

...and days end.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Gareth Davies
26 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

The thread has been moved to Skindles as it is discussing a current issue and will be monitored closely.

Since when did Skindles topics have to stay on topic? 

Matlock1418
1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

Thank you for the decision to allow this thread to continue

All previous respondants and future posts - Most certainly on the topic of WFA cards only please. Please !!!

As as for "Skindles" - as a relative GWF newbie - What is GWF "Skindles" and what is its purpose?

Why move it there when the "Other Chat" seemed fine for this subject - I'm not getting bolshie - just asking a question or few.

To all - As for monitoring - As the OP I will be keeping a keen eye on it and as previously will try to do my bit to moderate - no name calling etc.  Please !!!

1 hour ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

...empires come and empires go'

...and days end.

I recognise the witticism - but hopefully not extinction of our species, other species, ecosystems or our planet ;-)

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Since when did Skindles topics have to stay on topic? 

Gareth - As above, I really have no idea what "Skindles" is all about - other than I thought it was an oblique reference to some kind of bar. ???

However - a polite request of you [as above and below to all] and so that we [some collective reponsibility accepted] do not jeopardise this thread again - please keep on the Cards topic. Please !!!

Now back to ALL ...

To all - There may be others WFA topics to discuss but not in this thread please.

No hard feelings to anyone who posted any responses - but please let's just keep it on a serious topical track [some topical light humour accepted!]

Fine - now that is all cleared away - further opinions/thoughts/suggestions sought on the proposed new WFA membership cards - take it away team ... on topic and politely please ... [have I said that enough? - I guess some will think too much!]

Off you go again ...

Matlock

Edited by Matlock1418
typo & grammar

DavidOwen

Skindles is normally for off topic discussions.

On further reflection and taking your point I shall put it back where it was.

Matlock1418
Just now, DavidOwen said:

Skindles is normally for off topic discussions.

On further reflection and taking your point I shall put it back where it was.

Thank you.  :-)

Hyacinth1326
35 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I recognise the witticism - but hopefully not extinction of our species, other species, ecosystems or our planet ;-)

Ah virtue signalling. You could destroy every bit of plastic in Britain but it wouldn't make a blind jot of difference to the ecosystem as long as regimes east of Suez chuck  theirs into the sea.  And they do. 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Matlock1418
18 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

You could destroy every bit of plastic in Britain but it wouldn't make a blind jot of difference to the ecosystem as long as regimes east of Suez chuck  theirs into the sea.  And they do.

Sadly I know that is probably current reality - but think we WFA members should to at least try to do our bit.

By the way WFA - in line with my suggestion of cardless option = perhaps such a suggestion would do away with some cost, help keep subs down [reduction would be even nicer!] and even aid retention of older members and perhaps even better help recruit newer ones too [from a personal reflection on the high average age of WFA members at meetings I attend]

Same goes for "Stand to!" and the "Bulletin" - As an old ****** I do like them [I love the feel of paper in my hand and I find them easier to read, scan and generally navigate] but really in line with modern trends and the likely level of retention for normal members' re-reading I think the digital on-line option is better for all members [including those with difficulting accessing - visual impairment etc. - wonderful what modern technology can do to assist such people] and for the environment too.  I would call that positive progress for the WFA. - WFA please note another positvely made suggestion for you.

In case anyone asks - After reading magazines I send them to my local library for reuse/re-reading - before suggested recycling with other paper recyclables! (and to local doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms too!)  Might be considered by some as "fly-tipping", but at least it isn't that reckless!

Now, back on track with potentially non-recylcable cards and alternative options, please [!] ...

Edited by Matlock1418
Typically for on line - despite checking you only really spot errors for corection once you have first published! Doh!

Kath
22 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

Ah virtue signalling.

Are you meaning Matlock is not genuinely concerned, as am I, over the use of plastic?

Kath.

Hyacinth1326

I wouldn't know.  I just maintain from professional experience that in the Middle East and most of Asia, all the plastic and just about everything else you could care to name, once discarded will end up in the drink.  The Chinese may demonstrate sophisticated waste transfer stations to the likes of David Shukman and he will smile with lofty approval - but anyone with more than a passing acquaintance with Chinese industrial processing will tell you where the rubbish ultimately ends up - and not just the coastal detritus.  Don't get me started on India and Pakistan !  

Gestures to ban/curtail use of plastics in this country or anywhere else in the west are utterly void in this scenario. 

But hey, if it makes you feel good...

garbage-sewage-bigger-threat-to-metropolis-than-terrorism-e85e7808b3ba86d229f75b4672de728a.jpg

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Knotty
1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

digital on-line option is better for all members

Hi Matlock

What about those who do not have, or have access to a computer?

I do not believe that everyone has a device, contrary to this being the information/digital age.😳 If all members of the WFA are online then fair play to your suggestion, but as you have said the perceived tactile benefits of the periodicals sent outweigh the online version, in my opinion.

I observe you take your “spent” items to your sugary/dentist, in my local area these are rejected on the grounds that they may introduce germs into the waiting areas, 🤬so it not a level playing field for all of us.

The next argument of mine would be along the demise of libraries as institutions of both reading and learning 🙂,but I will stop and watch this interesting debate on the WFA plastic membership cards from afar.

John

Matlock1418
1 hour ago, Knotty said:

What about those who do not have, or have access to a computer?

In a way a fair comment [though picking up on my own drift off main topic onto "Stand to!" and the "Bulletin" - tut, tut Matlock!] - I am only just in the digital age [very basic computer and bog standard mobile, no smart phone - yet???] - but think it is the way things are going and the trend is seemingly relentless - espcially for our younger generations.

After all, my [and probably many GWF pals/WFA members'] grandparents were likely to have been born before the aeroplane first flew - but it did not stop them from using their benefits [they didn't own one in case you are wondering! ;-)]  [And please let's not go further off-topic discussing aeroplanes or birth of grandparents, even though I raised them as illustrations ;-) ]

I did also earlier suggest a [better] paper card as an alternative suggestion to WFA - just not plastic or cardless as the sole options.

By the way, I only got a paper letter from WFA welcoming me onboard with a membership number - that's a good enough 'membership card' for me [I'm going to take great care of it] , especially given the often quoted lack of necessity/use and cost from other WFA members.

Likewise I reflect, as above, on the below comment.

2 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

Gestures to ban/curtail use of plastics in this country or anywhere else in the west are utterly void in this scenario. 

But hey, if it makes you feel good.

And ... Its not about avoiding all use of plastic - just about sensible use and avoidance of waste of resources - which often commonly and very sadly end as pollution as you comment.

I don't think WFA membership cards are a sensible use of plastic [that is likely to last centuries in a mostly inappropriate form] - in some ways also counter-productive for younger peiople and possibly for WFA membership in the longer term - i.m.h.o.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

The next argument of mine would be along the demise of libraries as institutions of both reading and learning 🙂,but I will stop

I agree - yet, don't get me going on on largely spurious H&S problems with paper magazines! - But [likewise my own drift off main topic - seemed on same trend though - and I did declare my position on use of paper for those purposes!] ... Quite right to stop this off-topic on libratries/surgeries etc here, right now ["Skindles" thread apparently would be the place for that sort of discussion!] ;-)

Happy for the debate on WFA cards, from both sides, to continue ...

Edited by Matlock1418
Gads - more small typos corrected

Hyacinth1326

At any rate I wish everyone well

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Matlock1418
2 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

garbage-sewage-bigger-threat-to-metropolis-than-terrorism-e85e7808b3ba86d229f75b4672de728a.jpg

A HORRID sight :-(  :-(  :-( = and one for us all to try and avoid elsewhere I pretty am sure you would agree [hope I'm not putting inappropriate words in your mouth or misinterpretting your overall sentiment]

Just hope WFA and WFA members can do their bit [like many other GWF pals would like to theirs also I feel]

21 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

At any rate I wish everyone well

No offence taken by me at your posts - happy for any valid on-topic input in our debate on plastic WFA cards etc.

But thanks for your expression of 'wellness' [is that really a word or properly used here??] to all.  :-)

Bernard_Lewis
On 07/09/2019 at 13:22, Gareth Davies said:

I have asked the WFA about this. I got a very aggressive and sarcastic reply.

Good lord! I see no need for that sort of response from any association. Very disappointing.

Bernard

Bernard_Lewis
7 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

'...empires come and empires go'

...and days end.

To lighten things up a little: the old Empire cinema in Neath was converted into a bingo hall. When it caught fire some years later, my bus driver told me - deadpan - that it meant that 1,000 Neath ladies had been made homeless...

Bernard