Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Matlock1418

New W.F.A. membership cards - Cardless or paper card, NOT plastic, please

Matlock1418

W.F.A. are proposing new plastic membership cards very soon (c. December 2019, according to their latest e-mail) :-(  :-(  :-( =  I hope my concern and this post is not now too late.

Seems very 'retro' now in the days of increasing environmental concern - certainly not in tune with many of our younger generations' ideas.

These proposed plastic cards should last long after all current W.F.A. members are dead (even for younger members, and especially for old ones like me!)

Got to say I don't think this is very environmentally-friendly and I think cardless (on your smart phone?) and/or paper card membership cards (for old fosssils like me who still manage to exist without a smart phone) would suffice.

Neither of these alternative options is being offered - I think that they should be.

After all how much use do membership cards actually get?

If a paper card one is lost or damaged then replacement should be at a cost - like already for passports, driving licenses, library tickets and reader's cards - would seem reasonable. = Take care of your membership card!

If other W.F.A members think similarly, in order to protect our resources and prevent extra polllution of our planet - for nature and our following generations = I suggest that an urgent e-mail to:  office@westernfrontassociation.com  might be a way of expressing your opinion/alternative to the current sole option offered by the W.F.A :-(  = "Vote' now.

Please don't just vote for a new plastic card as per the W.F.A.'s latest e-mail.

Please make an alternative vote for a cardless or paper card option [at the very least] - I'm voting/have ' voted' for a paper card option [and it can be composted with me at the end!] - but still not being offered to me or other W.F.A. members :-(  :-(  :-(

Come on W.F.A. members - please do your bit/even more for the environment.

Matlock.

Edited by Matlock1418

tullybrone

Not a WFA member but the NHS annual (and 3 month) pre paid prescription plastic card bit the dust this year for environmental reasons.......you are now required to just print off a written version and produce it at the dispensing pharmacy each time you request items.

Steve

fellop

It was my understanding reading the e mail that the main reason for the proposed change is that the cards at the moment are the paper/card type; these it seems deteriorate very rapidly [their words not mine]. I have to say mine is still serviceable and remains in one piece after seven years of membership. Members I assume then apply to the WFA for a replacement and it is the WFA that bears the costs of replacement and postage I presume. So their drive toward a more permanent and longer lasting membership card seems not unreasonable and also the reason why the paper/card type is not being offered as an option as it is that type the WFA are trying to end.

Regards

Peter

Matlock1418
18 minutes ago, fellop said:

t was my understanding reading the e mail that the main reason for the proposed change is that the cards at the moment are the paper/card type; these it seems deteriorate very rapidly [their words not mine]. I have to say mine is still serviceable and remains in one piece after seven years of membership. Members I assume then apply to the WFA for a replacement and it is the WFA that bears the costs of replacement and postage I presume. So their drive toward a more permanent and longer lasting membership card seems not unreasonable and also the reason why the paper/card type is not being offered as an option as it is that type the WFA are trying to end.

Regards

Peter

But my main point remains that there is no option on material [and there are others = contactless and paper card - after all that was why they were called cards] other than the environmentally-unfriendly plastic version. :-(  :-(

And if you break it, you pay for it! - that's usually considered reasonable - and ought to encourage a responsible attitude to such cards [not that I think most W.F.A. members are particularly reckless].

I have heard of paper card lasting 25+ years - so Peter, at 7 years your is but a baby! ;-)

I'm hoping for a "big push' from members {and no ropey generalship}

W.F.A. members - please make your voices heard.

Edited by Matlock1418

squirrel

Been a wfa member for years and my original card is plastic.

Matlock1418
37 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Been a wfa member for years and my original card is plastic.

Won't criticise you, or anyone else who has the same, for that because that plastic is done and past, but ... If already plastic, does it need replacing?  Would you be happy to keep it?

Have you been taking extra, extra good care of it?  Have you ever used it?  Have you ever taken it out with you?  Or does it always stay at home like other WFA members report to me = I've never heard of a reason that needs one to potentially last for centuries [I don't believe in any acceptable 'bio-degradable' plastics - nor burning in incinerators, even with energy recovery and proper anti-pollution scrubbers - it just doesn't happen most of the time!]

In my opinion it's only the WFA, in their e-mail, that are really making a BIG fuss about disintigrating cards, and ... they want to 'modernise' the look [I think this design issue is the real reason for the proposal] - For what end in plastic I feel? = A new design could be done in paper card - or even cardless!

And in a few years they will undoubtedly want to change the look again - more oil-based resources used/plastic waste/environmental harm.

I feel plastic is a rather un-trendy option in days of environmental concerns - as I orginally wrote, they can compost a paper card one with me when my time comes [as I write the WFA are probably already putting a contract out on me!]

Even if plastic is sought by some WFA members [obviously in my opinion - not a good idea - why should they be so extra-durable?] = We should have non-replacement and non-plastic option(s) too.

One and all WFA members - please support such an option(s)

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Gareth Davies

I have asked the WFA about this. I got a very aggressive and sarcastic reply.

Ken Lees

Such a small piece of plastic and so few members in the grand scheme of things, is this really worth the fuss? 

Surely, it's just a drop in the ocean. 

[I'll get my coat] 

Michelle Young

When I was a WFA member, the only time I recall having to produce my card was at an AGM.

Michelle 

Matlock1418
2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

I have asked the WFA about this. I got a very aggressive and sarcastic reply

Likewise - I was curtly told "It has taken quite a lot of man hours to get to this point" [their phrase and gender] - so obviously change wasn't going to happen [my interpretation]

Like the 4th wave going over the top at Gallipoli, etc., I suppose

1 hour ago, Ken Lees said:

Such a small piece of plastic and so few members in the grand scheme of things, is this really worth the fuss? 

Surely, it's just a drop in the ocean. 

[I'll get my coat]

In some ways = but so indicative of poor generalship at WFA I think

So un-modern - So un-C21st!

We old fogies [me anyway] should be looking out for our children's and our grand-children's futures - I'm trying to.

As for your coat - is it cold where you live???

59 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

When I was a WFA member, the only time I recall having to produce my card was at an AGM

I'm guessing your card is immaculate.

So obviously we all need one that will last 100+ years given all that wear and tear!

WFA make me so :-(  :-(  :-(

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Gareth Davies

I have been asked to delete my post.

Matlock1418
1 minute ago, Gareth Davies said:

I have been asked to delete my post.

By whom? - i'm not censoring anyone.

Gareth Davies

Any idea who the WFA snooper is?

Ken Lees
5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

As for your coat - is it cold where you live???

Not overly warm, but it does seem to be getting gradually warmer, year by year. My grandchildren won't need coats, I suspect. So the younger generation should be grateful to my generation in due course.

They'll never have had it so good, with all their tree-destroying, paper membership cards. 

Matlock1418

Post deleted - as repeated later with more context.

Edited by Matlock1418

Terry_Reeves

Been a member for over 30 years and never had one nor have I been asked to produce one at any time.  Just get rid of them and save some money.

TR

Matlock1418

1 minute ago, Ken Lees said:

My grandchildren won't need coats, I suspect. So the younger generation should be grateful to my generation in due course.

They'll never have had it so good, with all their tree-destroying, paper membership cards

I know that is all tongue in cheek!

I think you have spotted my case really.

Vive the revolution!

1 minute ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Been a member for over 30 years and never had one nor have I been asked to produce one at any time.  Just get rid of them and save some money.

TR

Come on WFA - hear the case

Matlock1418
8 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

No - but they should take note

Ken Lees
10 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

I'm no detective, but I would suspect the person who asked you to delete your post 

Matlock1418
2 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I'm no detective, but I would suspect the person who asked you to delete your post 

A proper Poirot you are methinks ;-)

I'm hoping they are taking notes!

Gareth Davies
28 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I don’t think so. The way it was written suggested that the messenger had been tipped off.

Ken Lees
30 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

I don’t think so. The way it was written suggested that the messenger had been tipped off.

I do like a good conspiracy theory. 

!

Matlock1418
40 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

The way it was written suggested that the messenger had been tipped off.

WFA HQ do know about this concern - but appear to be blanking it - so maybe the project manager is keeping an eye on it.

As for change I think it is really down to members to campaign for an environmentally-friendly one [might save some costs too!]

Come on WFA members - please make your opinions known, here and especially to WFA HQ

28 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

Now, now - no names.

I have my main suspect [and not the earlier/now deleted suggestion - thanks for that] but keeping it to myself - for now anyway.

Edited by Matlock1418
alteration in light of other altered threads suggesting, probably light-heartedly, a possible suspect

Gareth Davies
18 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I do like a good conspiracy theory. 

!  

Oh yes, default setting for me too.

Terry_Reeves

Merely a storm in a ticket office.. Empires come, empires go.

TR