Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Fewster Guy 23/1420 Tyneside Scottish

Wardog

Hello. I would welcome ANY further info on this man. What I have been told is he enlisted 24th of November 1914 and was discharged upon the 28th of July 1917 due to gun shot wounds. His medals and wound badge sold recently on online. I have just bought a 1st Pattern TS badge from the same seller and think the badge and the medals may well be linked. Regards, Paul.

P1060544.JPG

Edited by Wardog

Thanks David, I should have mentioned a Gift Tin, and SWB certificate was also sold with the medal pair. Details of the man were not listed but readable on the pictured SWB certificate. Regards, Paul.

Looks like he spent all his life in the same area of Burnopfield/Tanfield 

Born 1885, married Olive Annie Scott in 1909.

Children

William Scott Guy b 1910

Elizabeth A.C. b 1915

Edward b 1920.

Thank you sadbrewer. Can I confirm the Newspaper clipping is 1915- I wonder if it should be 1916. I take it there is no sign of pension record for this man.

2 hours ago, Wardog said:

Thank you sadbrewer. Can I confirm the Newspaper clipping is 1915- I wonder if it should be 1916. I take it there is no sign of pension record for this man.

Apologies...the paper was July 25th 1916....can't find a pension record so far.

Edit...his elder brother John b1882 was with the 170th Tunnelling Company.

Edit 2 ....found his pension record on Fold3...unfortunately I haven't a subscription.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=815235&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ubi8737&_phstart=successSource

Edited by sadbrewer

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:41, sadbrewer said:

Thanks SB. I'm just getting the subscribe page with that link. Can you or anyone heip link me to a page that shows they have the record?

Regards, Paul.

Screenshot of the ancestry link if it helps Paul.

sorry, no fold3 for me either.

Dave.

6E3744FF-5C7C-401A-A5F7-B8B5AF633624.png

Thank you all for your help so far- I now have access to the UK WWI Pension Ledger and Index Card- Problem caused by middle name being listed as Fenster and not Fewster. I cannot seem to find an obvious hit for him in British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920.

I don't expect documents to be posted on here but if anyone more adept at online research can give me links to ANY records online it will be much appreciated. Regards, Paul.

• Admin

I can add that according to the 1911 Census he was a Coal Miner - Stoneman.FMP link

1920 his address was 33 Raglan Place Burnopfield (and Olive Annie is also on the Electoral roll) FMP link by 1931 they had moved to 21 Hazel Grove Burnopfield link

The 1939 Register has him as still a Colliery Worker - can't read the middle word so FMP image below - they transcribed it as Dental!!)

image.png

He died in 1968 aged 83 FMP

That is about all I have been able to dig up so far.