Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RICHARD MERRICK

bobpike

I would be most grateful for any information on Pte RICHARD MERRICK 2nd Worcesters died of wounds 22nd April 1918 aged 17 and buried in Wimereux.

Thank you

Bob

FMP has medal roll and SDGW

First name(s) Richard
Last name Merrick
Service number 203213
Rank Private
Regiment Worcestershire Regiment
Battalion 2nd Battalion.

Also two records of a wounding in 1917 went to Frevent

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007280848%2F00711&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F43997 

George

Edited by George Rayner

Looks to me as if he was born c 1898. Appears in 1901 census aged 3 and 1911 aged 13, From Plymouth.

WFA Card for claim from his mother Mary Elizabeth Merrick of 2 Priory Lodge, Lower Compton, Plymouth. This is the address on the 1911 census despite ancestry's index getting it wrong. See here

War Gratuity etc to father Arnold. Ancestry has effects record under Metrick and  DoD 22/7/18. That also indicates the census returns are for the right man. £6 10s gratuity. Think that means entered service about Sept 1916.

Edited by Mark1959

Bobpike may I ask why you believe he was 17 when he died?

Mark's research seems the only likely Merrick which would make him 20ish

George

49 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Looks to me as if he was born c 1898. Appear in 1901 census aged 3 and 1911 aged 13, From Plymouth.

WFA Card for claim from his mother Mary Elizabeth Merrick of 2 Priory Lodge, Lower Compton, Plymouth. This is the address on the 1911 census despite ancestry's index getting it wrong. See here

War Gratuity etc to father Arnold. Ancestry has effects record under Metrick and  DoD 22/7/18. That also indicates the census returns are for the right man. £6 10s gratuity. Think that means entered service about Sept 1916.

Civil Registration Birth Index.

Name:  Richard Arnold J Merrick

Registration Year:  1897

Registration Quarter:  Oct-Nov-Dec

Registration district:  Plymouth

Inferred County:  Devon

Volume:  5b

Page:  246

Edit. SDGW - 203213 Pte Richard Merrick, 2nd Battalion Worcester Regiment, DOW 22 Apr 1918.

Birth Place:  Plymouth

JP

Edited by helpjpl
SDGW

His burial at Wimereux suggests he was well down the evacuation chain by the time he succumbed to his wounds. The 2nd Worcesters were relieved from the defence of Hill 70 (Neuve Eglise) on the night of 17/18 April after several days in the front line. This area and action would seem a likely location for his ultimately fatal wounding. 

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you all for all your help, it has taken me a long way down the research journey - I am most grateful.

George

Family tradition has it that he died aged 17 this seems to be the age he joined up from the evidence

Bob 

#2 will give you the two FMP documents if you have access. They are only lists of being admitted though

George