Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jools mckenna

German letters.

Jools mckenna

I have about 8 German letters(lots of other postcards which are now illegible) from a lot and after a year of having them, I wondered what they said. I'll post 1 for now and wait till that is (hopefully) translated, then post the others 1 by 1, so I don't clutter this thread. Thanks for reading. 

First letter:(sorry about it being in PDF form)

Scan0005 (1).pdf Scan0006.pdf Scan0007.pdf

Several of the letters seem to have been written by the same person. I believe these letters were sent to the Treschhaus family and the letter from Reinhold is also from this lot.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Jaeger6

The handwriting is quite difficult to decipher, the first page (0005) is quite okay but the longer he writes, the worse the handwriting gets. I only read the first page completely but this handwriting seems to be different from Georg Reinhold's. Georg uses Latin letters and writes in large upright letters while the long letter is written in Sütterlin, the old German handwriting, the letters lean to the left and look much more compressed than in the first letter.

On this first page, he thanks his family for a parcel with tobacco and soap. He can use this to share it with his comrades. He asks if the children already have wishes for the Christ Child [it brings the Christmas gifts in some German areas] and talks about another parcel with woolen clothes. He tells his wife that he doesn't need that many woollen clothes and that the army takes care for winter clothes, so all soldiers have received two more pairs of winter socks.

So far the information on the first page, I try to decipher more of it.

Best wishes

Markus

Jools mckenna

Thanks Markus. I know the letter isn't from George as only one of the lot comes from him I believe. I'll look at the envelope to look at the absender.

Thank you for the translation of the first page, and the bit about the 'Christ child's is really sweet.

Edited by Jools mckenna