Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Index Card Assistance

Evertonian

Hello,

I'm hopeful someone will kindly assist interpret a medal card.

I've just purchased it from the National Archive here, and although I've read various guides such as the one from this very site - unfortunately I can't understand the writing. I'm hopeful someone could be more well versed than I am and be able to bring to life what the medal cards mean?

The document is here: 

https://pdfhost.io/v/sUox8Kl5P_WO_37211156219.pdf

Thank you for your time.

• Admin

Welcome to the Forum

Ancestry allows free access (at the moment) to MICs - you just need to be registered.

The image below (courtesy Ancestry) should be the same card. If you are referring to the writing next to Victory and British those would be an administrative reference.

Regards

David

Edit: the reverse of the card is blank. I note Ancestry no longer has "Free" next to the MICs on their site....

image.png

Thank you very much David, appreciate that.

I had that card but noted the one on the National Archive (that I've linked as a PDF in the first post) seemed to have more - are all these not related to the same person?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Evertonian said:

Thank you very much David, appreciate that.

I had that card but noted the one on the National Archive (that I've linked as a PDF in the first post) seemed to have more - are all these not related to the same person?

Thanks

The National Archives put cards together into batches for ease of copying, they don't all apply to the same man.

Craig

RE/104 B 16 page 4232 is the reference for the actual medal roll. He served in three different regiments/corps. South Lancashire Regiment, Labour Corps and Royal Engineers.(Inland Water Transport)

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• Admin

No they are in batches of 6 or 8 on the National Archive site and don't show the reverse either.

Do I take it you have found his service records on FMP? Link here in case. If not then you may be able to access FMP via a local library or take out a free trial. Some of the pages are very feint but the record seems quite extensive.

Do come back with any more questions.

David

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The National Archives put cards together into batches for ease of copying, they don't all apply to the same man.

Craig

Thanks Craig, that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Terry_Reeves said:

RE/104 B 16 page 4232 is the reference for the actual medal roll. e served in three diffent regiments/corps. South Lancashire Regiment, Labour Corps and Royal Engineers.(Inland Water Transport)

TR

Thanks Terry.

I intend to visit the South Lancashire Regiment's museum to try and learn a little more.

Would you know how I can best find the source (medal roll) for that reference?

• Admin

Best source for Medal Rolls is Ancestry but that does need a subscription or a trip to a local library that subscribes... Then search the rolls for your man via his service number/s

5 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

No they are in batches of 6 or 8 on the National Archive site and don't show the reverse either.

Do I take it you have found his service records on FMP? Link here in case. If not then you may be able to access FMP via a local library or take out a free trial. Some of the pages are very feint but the record seems quite extensive.

Do come back with any more questions.

David

Thanks David.

I actually enlisted the support of a professional professional genealogist and in the report he posted to me, was my great grandfathers medal card (plus tons more paperwork which I really struggle to understand - handwriting/quality of print+abbreviations!) and I'm not trying to learn everything I can about him but admittedly, struggling a little!

(Amazed at the level of assistance/support - will be sure to donate. Fantastic forum, well done)

Edited by Evertonian

8 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

Thanks Craig, that makes sense.

Thanks Terry.

I intend to visit the South Lancashire Regiment's museum to try and learn a little more.

Would you know how I can best find the source (medal roll) for that reference?

The National Archives, but it needs a personal visit, or through Ancestry which you might be able to get for free at your local library. I can say however that all it gives in this case is the same information that is on the medal index card.

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hi, I just looked up the medal register and it contains the same information as his medal index card which you already have.  I would focus your attention on the service record which is a tremendous source of information about his army career - if you can read it!

John

35 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The National Archives, but it needs a personal visit, or through Ancestry which you might be able to get for free at your local library. I can say however that all it gives in this case is the same information that is on the medal index card.

Thank you Terry.

29 minutes ago, johntaylor said:

Hi, I just looked up the medal register and it contains the same information as his medal index card which you already have.  I would focus your attention on the service record which is a tremendous source of information about his army career - if you can read it!

John

Very kind of you John to look that up, thanks a lot.

I'll try my very best to do just that! I think I may have to try and find someone with a better eye than me to help me get what information I can from the paperwork. There's reference to a telegram requesting army form b. 115 (which a google search suggests could be interesting!...). If I can find any more information at all about my great grandfather I'll pop back and share it :). Pretty bad no one in my family knows what he did during the war, determined to try and bring him to life!

Thanks again to everyone.

Edited by Evertonian

The quality of the attestation on Ancestry is challenging to say the least-but some of it can be deciphered or knowledgeably worked out I'm sure.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=1092991&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy22023&_phstart=successSource

George

I had a quick look at his service record and it will be an interesting one - there's lots of information but it's hard to read. There's a separate section of the Forum on Interpreting Records and I wonder if it's worth moving the discussion there?

John

The bits I think I can work out;

He was a 23 year old merchant seaman when he attested 30/1/1915

He'd married Margaret Jones in 1912, daughters Ann Martha and Mary Esther.

Very hard to read but looks like he deserted May 1915, and given detention March 1916

Embarked from Marseille 13/11/1916 an disembarked Salonika 19/11/1916

Looks like he went to Malta for treatment (malaria?) 5/1/1917

Back in Salonika October 1917. Transferred to 818 Employment Coy, Labour Corps

In hospital Feb 1918

Transferred to R.E. November 1918, having passed a trade proficiency test as a waterman

November 1918 - 7 days field punishment no.1 

Invalided to UK Feb 1919

March 1919 - At Wharncliffe War Hospital, Sheffield

Demoblized  6/4/1919

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2019 at 00:54, IPT said:

The bits I think I can work out;

He was a 23 year old merchant seaman when he attested 30/1/1915

He'd married Margaret Jones in 1912, daughters Ann Martha and Mary Esther.

Very hard to read but looks like he deserted May 1915, and given detention March 1916

Embarked from Marseille 13/11/1916 an disembarked Salonika 19/11/1916

Looks like he went to Malta for treatment (malaria?) 5/1/1917

Back in Salonika October 1917. Transferred to 818 Employment Coy, Labour Corps

In hospital Feb 1918

Transferred to R.E. November 1918, having passed a trade proficiency test as a waterman

November 1918 - 7 days field punishment no.1 

Invalided to UK Feb 1919

March 1919 - At Wharncliffe War Hospital, Sheffield

Demoblized  6/4/1919

What an absolute gent, thank you very much!