Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

maudson

Hi, I wondered if Steve or one of the Northamptonshire experts could help me start a biography of Joseph Arthur Norris. he is on the Ringstead Roll of Honour although I am struggling to find a connection. He was born in 1888/9 in Irchester and lived there and in Raunds. His regimental number was 43673 and he was in the 5th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. The Roll of Honour records that he was  still serving and was in the 351st Prison-of-War Camp. I believe this was Stalag 351 Berkenbrugge which was in Germany - now possibly Brezezina in Poland. Unfortunately, apart from his medal card and roll, there is no other sign of his war experience (there is a brief mention on the Raunds Memorial website).  I wondered if it is possible to give the approximate date of his enlistment and even when he might have been captured.. Many thanks for any help that anyone is able to give. 

Regards

David

Edited by maudson

Try the ICRC website for pow details. This should reveal at least his date of capture.

Simon

Many thanks to everyone. It is late so will look at it all tomorrow.but I think Charlie could be right about the camp being in this country. I will come back when I have followed up the leads that have been sent by you all.

David

According to a previous post by Stebie9173, the 5th Northamptons were based at Aniche when 2 officers and 43 other ranks went to 351 POW Company at Bethune on 1/4/1919.  Also, 2 officers and 60 other ranks were dispatched to 358 POW Company at Avion. The 5th Northamptons were in the last throes of their existence at that time and men were either being sent in large numbers for demobilisation or to other units in France/Flanders. 

I am gradually getting some idea of his service but am still struggling to get an approximate start date for his service overseas. I have looked at a number of soldiers with Regimental Numbers around Joseph Norris (43673). I have not managed to find a start date for any of them but all seem to have been transferred from other regiments (I was not looking just at 5th but all Northants).. Some received MM or were killed and of these all were in 1917 the earliest being William Hawkins who was killed 12th April 1917 and had number 43601.

The nearest number I have found was Acting Sergeant Herbert L. Gibbs 43671 who was previously in the South Lancs (30069). I know that numbering was not always consistent.

Any thoughts very welcome

David

David,

The Medal Roll on Ancestry can sometimes be helpful when looking at near numbers.

Its always more difficult when men are transferred between Regiments but it should be possible to find when the Northants number was issued. Problem comes with working out if he joined direct or came from another unit. Finding surviving Service Records for near numbers is the best guide.  I cannot help because I'm (or rather my bank account is) taking a 'short' break from subs .

Charlie

Thanks Charlie - I will keep trying to find a near number who has evidence of a start date in their records. I have found some Medal Rolls do give this - but not many.. Like many things I have done in my life - any reward has been through attrition rather than skill.

David

Many thanks to all who posted advice and information, I have now posted the biography on the Ringstead People website. I have not managed to establish exactly when he was posted to France so it is a little unsatisfactory but it would have been much worse without your help.

David