Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dating a mills bomb

Beltanedeath

Yes 11/1915 is the date. You may notice the Patent numbers. Patent 3559/15 was not completed. So probably should not have been on the base plug at that time, but probably thousands had been made and impressed, so they were used.

50/50 really.

Over the years the original base plugs often get lost and replacements are found. With the No 5 or No 23 your have to be sure of the provenance.

Maybe a funny question, but why four different patents Numbers on ONE item??

M.

Victorian and Edwardian engineers lived and died by their patents. Mills had a variety for a range of things. Adding the related patents would have been natural for William Mills. 

Patent 2111 covered the basic Mills design of the grenade and the igniter set

Patent 2468 was a refinement of 2111.

Patent 7636 saw improvements in the description of the lever and describes how the grenades can be used in spring guns and other throwing devices. 

There is repetition in the three patents. 

Mills also filed Patent 7301  for Grenade with a clockwork fuze. Also Patent 7872 for larger grenades to be dropped from aircraft. 

I can guarantee 100% that this Mills body and base plug go together and that they were both made by Mills munitions as they were the only company making these grenades in  May 1915.

Andy

DSCN1560.JPG

DSCN1561.JPG

Edited by Andy A

• 8 months later...

very nice centre cast, I've got a No5 made of aluminium, picked it up many  years ago. casing is made of aluminium with brass filler, steel lever and spring with striker, centre tube and base plug are alloy. will try and post some photos of it (new to this forum, so still feeling my way round). there are no markings on it. 

Look forward to seeing it. Mills himself made some aluminium bodied No 5s which were filled with various types of shrapnel. 

Excellent. What's on the base plug?

three more photos, the base plug is made of a more heavy alloy, no markings on the mills anywhere, although there is the remains of a paper label that was glued with an old type gum on the rear, i think there was writing on the label, but it has long since faded away. will post photo shortly. incidentally the casing has the same profile as a centre cast, the striker is slotted. everything is exactly how it was when i came across it.

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

Very nice. Probably made by Mills Munitions, either as a an experimental model or a presentation model. The base plug is unusual though Mills made one similar in late 1915 with a bar across the middle. A very good find. 

thanks for that, at least i know a bit more about it now. i was going to remove the old label and polish it up, but decided to leave it as i found it. i tried my own research on it but just ran into brick walls. documentation seems scarce, but then I'm no research expert. thanks for your help.