Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

ypres tommy

Gas Equipment used at Loos

ypres tommy

Hoping someone can help,  I’m researching the 5th North Staffords who were with 46th North Midland Division at the time of the battle of Loos. Does anyone know what gas equipment they were issued? Would it be the Hypo Smoke helmet or the P type tube helmet?

Any help greatfully recieved!

Edited by ypres tommy

bingoworlddk

I believe it was the Hypo Smoke Helmet that was being used.

GRANVILLE

I'm currently reading:  'Carrying on after the First Hundred Thousand (K1) by Hay, who writes about his time at the battle for Loos. In one of his references to a gas attack he speaks about looking out of the goggles of the gas hood. From this I would surmise he is referring to the PH helmet (with goggles) as opposed to the Hypo hood with its single piece of mica to look through.

David 

wainfleet

From Robert Graves's "Goodbye To All That", the attack orders for Loos as given to the 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 2nd Division:

"One tube-helmet, to be worn when we advance, rolled up on 
the head. It must be quite secure and the top part turned 
down. If possible each man will be provided with an elastic 
band. 
One smoke helmet, old pattern, to be carried for preference 
behind the back where it is least likely to be damaged by 
stray bullets, etc."

Two photos in "I Was There" show a group of wounded men standing by a train after Loos who are wearing the P  helmet rolled up on their heads. The eyepieces, and the valve of one helmet, can clearly be seen. So it would seem both types were carried by the 2nd Division and presumably by the other units.

squirrel

Similar instruction in the Preliminary Brigade Order for 141 Brigade, 47th (2nd London) Division issued for the battle of Loos.